1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Struggling immensely with tensors in multivariable calculus

1. Dec 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If f(x) is a scalar-valued function, show that ∂ƒ²/∂xi∂xj are the components of a Cartesian tensor of rank 2.
    2. Relevant equations
    N/A
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't even know where to begin. We began learning tensors in multivariable calculus (though I don't think this is supposed to be a part of our curriculum) and this question came up. I'm not sure at all how to answer it. Any help in understanding this problem would be hugely appreciated, even if it doesn't solve the entire thing.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2016 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the fundamental definition of a Cartesian tensor of rank 2? (Hint: it has to do with what happens when we make a change of coordinates)

4. Dec 9, 2016 #3
    Is it a matrix? I've learned that a tensor of rank 0 is a scalar and that a tensor of rank 1 is a vector, but I'm not sure I fully understand what exactly tensors are supposed to represent.

5. Dec 9, 2016 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

well, one can think of it as a matrix since there are two indices but this is not important here, what is important is how it transforms under a change of coordinates.

6. Dec 9, 2016 #5
    I'm afraid even this basic a grasp of tensors is lost to me. What exactly is a tensor in the first place? I don't think I can answer your initial question concerning the fundamental definition of a rank two tensor.

7. Dec 11, 2016 #6

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What happens to the components of a position vector (tensor of rank 1) ##x_i## (where ##x_1 = x##, ##x_2 = y##, ##x_3 = z##) when you rotate the xyz coordinate system? What about a two index object ##a_{ij} = x_i x_j##, (for which ##a_{11} = x^2## and ##a_{12} = xy##, etc.)? Now you should use the chain rule of partial derivatives to show that under rotations the object ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i \partial x_j}## has a transformation law that is similar to that of the ##a_{ij}##...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted