Franchise and voting rights based on measured intellectual capacity?

In summary, some nations restrict the franchise based on measured intellectual capacity. Potential voters with learning impairments, mental health issues, or neurological impairments may also find themselves barred from voting by law.
mark!
On Wikipedia, it says:
"Eligibility - Some nations restrict the franchise based on measured intellectual capacity".

I've been searching on Google for a pretty long time now, but I can't seem to find the answer to what I'm looking for. My only simply and short question is:

Which nations?

To what nations is the article is referring here? The article further says:
"Potential voters with learning impairments, mental health issues, or neurological impairments may also find themselves barred from voting by law".
Again, referring to voters with learning impairments. I'd like to know how these impairments are being measured, and where the line is drawn, and why.

If anybody knows the answer to this, I'm very curious to hear it! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
While not specifically about the franchise, studying the eugenics movement should provide historical perspective for disenfranchising citizens based on health concerns.

Though somewhat tangential as the USSR was not a democracy, Soviet rules and laws defining 'anti-social activities' as a form of mental illness treatable in mental hospitals might provide examples of politicizing mental health definitions to serve authority. The subject of disenfranchising criminals leads to an examination of what constitutes a crime and how a society organizes its criminal justice system.

Likes BillTre
Likes Klystron
Here, in the province of Québec in Canada, you can be declared incapacitated, which mean you cannot make decisions for yourself. Not only you don't have the right to vote, but you cannot have a bank account or buy a house or make any kind of contract. Someone else is appointed to do it for you. If there is no one, the government (the 'Curateur public') is taking charge. These people will also take charge of the finance of minors who don't have a legal tutor (like a parent).

Only a judge can declare you incapacitated and this is done based on medical & psychological evaluations and hearing testimonials from surrounding people. It is a reversible process (still done by a judge). You can prepare this moment in your life by filling a protection mandate which will be considered at the hearing.

For example, my grandmother had such mandate. When she reached a certain age (in her late 80's), she had trouble following everything and it was too difficult for her to follow all the bureaucracy (taxes, bank accounts, investments, etc.), so she asked her kids to do what was necessary to get relieved of those responsabilities. She wasn't crazy or anything, life was just too exhausting for her. You just follow the procedure, meet the professionals, go in front of judge and it is done (unless there is strong opposition).

The funny thing was that afterwards, my grandmother wished to vote in the next election. My mother told her she legally couldn't anymore and refused to take her, but my grandmother wasn't fully grasping the situation. One of my uncle was tired of hearing her complaining, so he took her anyway. Nobody had bother to remove her name from the electoral list, so she was able to do it even though she wasn't allowed legally.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, BillTre, berkeman and 1 other person

1. What is a franchise?

A franchise is a privilege or right granted by a government or organization to an individual or group, giving them the ability to vote or participate in certain decision-making processes.

2. How are voting rights determined based on intellectual capacity?

Voting rights based on intellectual capacity are typically determined through standardized tests or assessments that measure a person's intelligence or cognitive abilities. These tests may include IQ tests, educational attainment, or other measures of mental capacity.

3. Are there any limitations or restrictions on franchise and voting rights based on measured intellectual capacity?

Yes, there may be limitations or restrictions on franchise and voting rights based on intellectual capacity. For example, some countries may require a certain level of education or literacy in order to be eligible to vote.

4. How does the concept of "one person, one vote" apply to franchise and voting rights based on measured intellectual capacity?

The concept of "one person, one vote" means that each individual's vote should carry the same weight as any other individual's vote. In the context of franchise and voting rights based on intellectual capacity, this means that a person's intellectual capacity should not give them more voting power than another person.

5. Are there any controversies or debates surrounding franchise and voting rights based on measured intellectual capacity?

Yes, there are ongoing debates and controversies surrounding franchise and voting rights based on measured intellectual capacity. Some argue that these types of measures can be discriminatory and limit the voting rights of certain groups, while others argue that it ensures that only those with the necessary knowledge and understanding are able to participate in decision-making processes.