Where is the Zero Electric Field Point for Two Fixed Charged Particles?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the coordinate on the x-axis where the electric field produced by two fixed particles is equal to zero. The participants suggest using an equation and simplifying it to a first degree equation to find the answer. They also mention that the coordinate cannot be between the particles if one is attractive and the other is repulsive.
Hey,

I have tried this question... But I can't seem to get the answer right... I get about 27.85cm... But I think this value is incorrect...

Can someone try this, and tell me what they got/how they did it?

Two particles are fixed to an x axis: particle 1 of charge q1 = 2.20 x 10-8 C at x = 27.5 cm and particle 2 of charge q2 = -5.66q1 at x = 54.0 cm. At what coordinate on the x-axis is the electric field produced by the particles equal to zero?

Thanks.

NW

Physics news on Phys.org
For the field to be zero, both intensities must be identical (they are of opposite sign). Write this equality. Simplify and extract the square root! You will have a simple first degree equation. I obtain a result between -50 and -40 cm.

Last edited:
Show us your working and we can check it for you.

If one is attractive and the other repulsive that means that the coordinate cannot be between the particles. Sice your answer is, you should realize it soen't make sense.

What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength is a measure of the intensity of an electric field at a particular point. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

How is electric field strength calculated?

Electric field strength can be calculated by dividing the electric force acting on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge of the particle. It can also be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field strength is proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What factors affect electric field strength?

The electric field strength at a particular point is affected by the magnitude and distribution of electric charges, as well as the distance between them. It is also affected by the dielectric constant of the medium in which the charges are located.

What are some real-life applications of electric field strength?

Electric field strength is important in many areas of science and technology. It is used in the design and operation of electrical circuits, electric motors, and generators. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in the atmosphere, such as lightning strikes and auroras.

How does electric field strength relate to electric potential?

Electric field strength and electric potential are closely related. Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a particular point in an electric field. The electric field strength is the negative gradient of the electric potential, meaning it is the rate of change of electric potential with respect to distance.

Suggested for: Where is the Zero Electric Field Point for Two Fixed Charged Particles?

Back