Where should a pump be placed in a deep mine to lift water?

  • Thread starter Thread starter birdhen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pump Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
birdhen
Messages
31
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



You are required to pump water out of a very deep mine. Where should you put the pump?

Homework Equations



P=P(surface)+rho(g)(h)

The Attempt at a Solution



I am sure that this is a very easy problem but I can't see mathematically how to solve it. I know that if the resevoir of water at the bottom was under atmosperic pressure a suction pump could only raise the water about 10 meters and therefore not be useful. So, you would use a forcing pump below the column of water but how do I work out where exactly it goes?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What level is this question (are you in mining engineering college?)
I suspect it just wants you to know that you can't 'suck' water more than 10m - which you have done, and so you would have to pu tit at the bottom.

I suppose for extra credit you could put it 10m up from the bottom!