Where Should a Proton be Placed to Create an Electric Field at the Origin?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
RET80
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


You want to create an electric field = < 0, 3x10^4,0 > N/C at location < 0, 0, 0>.
Where would you place a proton to produce this field at the origin?

Homework Equations


1/4?? * q/r^2 = 3x10^4 N/C

(if you can't see the 1/4th part of the equation it's 1/(4(pi)(epsilon-not)) == 9.0x10^9 or just k)

The Attempt at a Solution


I moved everything over so that I can solve for r^2 and got this as my equation:
r = sqrt((9.0x10^9)(1.6x10^-19)/(3x10^4))

I ended up getting 2.19x10^-7 however its' saying it's not correct. I have it set up as a vector:
<0, 2.19x10^-7, 0>

Does it need to be negative for a proton in relation to the electric field?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if you place a proton at 2.19E-7 above the x-axis, which way will a +1C charge accelerate when it is placed at the origin?
 
jehan60188 said:
if you place a proton at 2.19E-7 above the x-axis, which way will a +1C charge accelerate when it is placed at the origin?

I have nooo idea. I'm kind of hazy as to the magnitude and direction of charged particles, so I'm not sure if its pointing up or down
 
Oh wait, if it's at the origin, a proton would move away, so the sign would be negative, wouldn't it?