Where to find a P&ID for a water treatment plant

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nevek
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    System Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 9K views
Nevek
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone, I'm working on water treatement in I need some P and ID (process and intrumentation diagram) of a water treatement plant. If someone have information about that please send me the link on the forums.

Thanks
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
By used water, does one mean waste water, as in sewage?

One can search Google or look on Wikipedia as a start
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewage_treatment

Then there are technical societies - e.g. American Water Works Association - www.awwa.org

There is the American Society of Civil Engineers - ASCE - www.asce.org

Search on Waster Water, or Sanitary Sewer

Search also - Sanitary Sewer Design and Construction
 
Yes I mean wasted water but i need P&ID. But just forget abour it because i think no one will get what i want. But thanks
 
Last edited:
I do not think one will find a detailed process and intrumentation diagram (with indication of all essential actuators and instrumentation (process instruments: pumps, valves, ...) on the internet. Such a diagram will be specific to a particular plant or process stream, and will reflect national and local standards, and will be produced by an engineering company for a specific client and project.
 
Agreed; I can't see there being any 'universal' solution. It's a situation-specific endeavor. It would be relatively easy to come up with a generic plan (for a real engineer, not for me), but it would have to be 'fine-tuned' to the immediate need.
 
Astronuc said:
I do not think one will find a detailed process and intrumentation diagram (with indication of all essential actuators and instrumentation (process instruments: pumps, valves, ...) on the internet. Such a diagram will be specific to a particular plant or process stream, and will reflect national and local standards, and will be produced by an engineering company for a specific client and project.

I have worked on a couple of water treatment plants and I probably still have copies of information like that requested, but not only would it be highly unethical for me to post them, technically I could be sued if I did. I don't think I've ever seen a P and ID that wasn't marked "Confidential".
 
Last edited:
I've seen examples of what a P&ID should look like, but like Ivan mentioned, the details of actual facilities are usually confidential or proprietary. One might be able to visit a local Department of Public Works, or Dept of Sanitation, but even then, I doubt that one can obtain the electronic files. Engineering companies have a proprietary interest in protecting their intellectual property, and usually that restricts disclosure of drawings and specifications.
 
Much of this engineering work is specific to the application, and cannot easily be scaled to a "generic" plant. The contaminant-loading of the feed water can vary widely (seasonal and short-term), requiring equipment and process-control instrumentation that is capable of handling the swings. Depending on the type of particulates that must be removed, flocculants, settling agent requirements can vary widely, too. Even if you've got a well-engineered plant built and operating, it may still have to be tweaked quite a bit to operate efficiently and provide water to the standards to which it is designed.
 
That's ok guy i have found the P & ID of wasted water treatement of my town. One of my teacher know the guy who work at the station and he gave me the plan because it's all the same almost everywhere.