Which alternative fuels do you support?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
Mk
There's solar, wind, fusion, fission, plant oil biofuels, biomass burning, hydroelectricity, tide & wave power, and more. There is much talk of fuels alternative to the old fossil fuels, which do you think are superior?

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
Fission.

kghjfhjh

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have to support fission since it is the only one(other than solar, which needs to become more efficient for people to accept) that can be used for power anywhere on the globe.(Since fusion can't be used for power anywhere on Earth, at least not yet.)

Solar seems to be taking off & it's decentralized

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Fission, solar, fusion.

cookies...

They all sound good to me. Solar, Wind and Wave are great for some places that can accommodate them, and for everywhere else there's fission (and Fusion!?)

turbo
Gold Member
I have a woodlot full of trees and an efficient wood stove. I am burning carbon that is currently in-cycle and that has not been sequestered for hundreds of millions of years.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's a no brainer - biodiesel is the solution.

mheslep
Gold Member
Fission.

kghjfhjh

Fission for everyone? You rightfully deleted the thread from the meltdown crank last week, but what about proliferation?

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Fission, fission, and more fission.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Fission: Terrorism; proliferation of nuclear materials; too much regulation needed to build the plants in time; the public and will never allow it.

Never gonna happen to a significant degree.

Gasoline and dirty coal.

I've always thought the best solution is a little of everything. Dependance on a single fuel can turn ugly, and they all have their up sides and downsides anyway.

Mk
Ivan Seeking said:
Never gonna happen to a significant degree.
Doesn't France get 80% of it's electricity from nuclear and export more of it?

Fission: Terrorism
What did you say again when we had the following conversation?:
Mk said:
We should eventually convert to nuclear as the main energy source in the United States.
Ivan Seeking said:
The terrorists would love that
Mk said:
Oh, I suppose then that we should stop building skyscrapers too because they're such a good target.

I've never been too scared of a nuclear war. it's a measure too grandiose and is sure to alienate and harm the attacker; I doubt a country would want to engage in nuclear war unless they have a suicide wish.

now bio-weapons... those scare the **** out of me.

Mk
now bio-weapons... those scare the **** out of me.

Have they ever been used?

A mixture of different energy sources would be the best solution. So as not to rely on only one thing.

Have they ever been used?

yea, I know... but it's the silence of a bio-weapon that scares me. A virus can spread fast, not show any symptoms for weeks, and be next to impossible to trace to know who the attacker was.

Mk
yea, I know... but it's the silence of a bio-weapon that scares me. A virus can spread fast, not show any symptoms for weeks, and be next to impossible to trace to know who the attacker was.
Well, I wasn't being offensive, I was just asking if they were really.

Bio is the scariest I think too :eek:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Doesn't France get 80% of it's electricity from nuclear and export more of it?

What percent of their total energy usage comes from nuclear, including petro energy?
QED

What did you say again when we had the following conversation?:

So you don't see a difference between buildings and dirty bombs? Buildings are a target - you know, like nuclear reactors are a target - and not weapons.

Last edited:
There are some viable alternatives, but I wish the world would focus on a few, rather than a huge amount.

Fusion, hydrogen cells combined with wind and solar power for the rich nations.

wolram
Gold Member
The Uk could be powered by wave power and bio fuel.