Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which are the elements which direcly sublimes

Tags:
  1. Feb 25, 2016 #1
    I know that Arsenic sublimes directly when heated. So I want to know which other elements like this sublimates on heating throughout the periodic table. I also know dry ice.
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Dry ice is not an element. Otherwise, all substances can sublimate: it is just a question of pressure.

4. Feb 25, 2016 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

At ambient pressure, the most well known example is probably iodine. You can see the vapour as it is violet and also observe new crystals forming on colder places of the vial.

5. Feb 29, 2016 #4
    Most materials have a point called the triple point below which they're all sublime. Check for phase diagrams of water, oxygen, nitrogen... They're all similar. These diagrams can also reveal wierd things like how to obtain hydrogen as metal. Now in the US they have also claimed to have obtained metallic carbon, but this without the condition of excessive pressure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook