1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which are the standard books for a PhD in USA, Europe, Asia and Latin America

1. Aug 9, 2012 #1
    I live in Mexico and I am about to begin my PhD. Here in Mexico the standard books for a Msc or first terms of a PhD are almost the same in every univesity in Mexico. For example the Msc traditional program is something like this:

First Year

- Classical Mechanis-- with Goldstein's Book
    - Classical Electrodynamics-- with Jackson's
    - Quantum Mechanics-- Sakurai's
    - Statistical Mechanics-- Reif's

Secon year

-Topics about thesis
    -Presentation of thesis.

These might be considered the standard references for a Msc or the first 18 months of a PhD, the books might vary but not too much. Once you have solve all these books you go ahead with your thesis and continue a reaserch program, but is likely that you'll find these books in a Msc or PhD in Mexico. So my question, Is this what happens in other countries or what are the differences in the Msc and PhD programs in other countries? Does exist a predominant list of standard books in other countries?

Comment about this and tell your experience.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2012 #2
    In Spain the "standard books" depend a lot on the faculty and even on the teacher. There is not a real standard.

Besides, most Msc are focused in a specific field. At least in my country some classical mechanics, electrodynamics, quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics is studied in undergraduate courses (currently 4 years), and you may study some of these subjects more deeply during the Master, but it is rare to study all of them in the same Msc.

Having said that, the books you mention are quite popular and commonly used in Physics faculties in Spain (or at least they were a few years ago, I'm not sure now).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook