1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Physics Which book to read the summer before starting Physics?

1. Jun 5, 2016 #1
    I'm starting my 1st year of Physics at university in September.

Although I've learnt a lot of single variable Calculus and various topics of Physics this year, I'd like to get a general overview of the topics touched in a 1st Physics course at uni.

I just wonder if there's an equivalent to those Calculus books like "Calculus made easy" but for Physics, something that gives you a shallow overview of the subject in no more than a few hundred pages, but still gives you an introduction.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2016 #2
    The Feynman lectures would be a good place for a nice overview, I think. They're hosted for free on Caltech's website.

4. Jun 5, 2016 #3
    Alonso and Finn: Fundamentals of University Physics. The author gives a very thorough explanation on the physics ideas. He knows how to tie everything together. The problems can be quite challenging. These books can be considered a good supplementary to the upper division courses.

5. Jun 5, 2016 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted