Undergrad Classical Mechanics with Hamiltonian formulation

In summary, for a textbook on Classical Mechanics that covers Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formulations and includes treatment of harmonic oscillators, you can check out the final chapter of a book or David Tong's lecture notes.
Gene Naden
I am looking for an undergraduate textbook on Classical Mechanics that includes Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formulations. One reason for this is that I am interested in quantization and second quantization. It should include treatment of harmonics oscillators. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The final chapter of my book contains a treatment of both the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms with the harmonic oscillator being one of the more recurring examples in the case of the Hamiltonian formalism. However, it may be a bit much to consider it just for that part unless you can find it in a library or online library (I know my university has three online copies available to students).

For something more focused on those concepts only, you could try David Tong's lecture notes.

Thank you

1. What is the Hamiltonian formulation in classical mechanics?

The Hamiltonian formulation, also known as Hamiltonian mechanics, is a mathematical approach to classical mechanics that uses the Hamiltonian function to describe the dynamics of a system. It is based on the principle of least action and is often used to solve problems in mechanics that are difficult to solve using other methods.

2. How does the Hamiltonian formulation differ from the Lagrangian formulation?

The Hamiltonian formulation differs from the Lagrangian formulation in that it uses the Hamiltonian function, which is a function of the system's position and momentum, whereas the Lagrangian formulation uses the Lagrangian function, which is a function of the system's position and velocity. The Hamiltonian formulation also takes into account the energy of the system, while the Lagrangian formulation does not.

3. What is the significance of the Hamiltonian function in classical mechanics?

The Hamiltonian function is significant in classical mechanics because it represents the total energy of the system, including both kinetic and potential energy. It also plays a crucial role in determining the equations of motion for the system and can be used to predict the future behavior of the system.

4. How is the Hamiltonian function derived?

The Hamiltonian function is derived from the Lagrangian function using the Legendre transformation. This transformation involves taking the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian function with respect to the generalized velocities and using them to rewrite the equations of motion in terms of the generalized momenta. The resulting function is the Hamiltonian function.

5. What are some applications of the Hamiltonian formulation in classical mechanics?

The Hamiltonian formulation has many applications in classical mechanics, including in celestial mechanics, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving complex systems, such as in the design of spacecraft trajectories and the study of planetary motion.