1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which branch of mathematics is this?

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which branch of mathematics predominates in the equation below?

2. Relevant equations
    df9d485c9fd21c912b3af55f19e0ca59.png

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_rule

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that a line over a number can mean either a statistical mean or a complex conjugate, and that a star in the exponent of a number is usually used to specify either a complex conjugate or delta x in Riemann sums.

Which is the case in this equation? I think that it's most likely complex conjugate notation, but I'm not sure. Oh, and the main question is: Which branch of mathematics predominates in this equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2
    In the wikipedia article that you link to, in the paragraph RIGHT below the equation, is a description of what EACH of the variables is.

As for "which branch of mathematics predominates this equation" it doesn't look like there is one, given this is an equation in MONETARY POLICY (again, this is ALL in the article you link).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook