Find the continuous branch cut of a complex logarythm

In summary, a complex logarithm is a mathematical function that maps a complex number to another complex number, defined as the inverse of the complex exponential function. A branch cut is necessary to define the principal value of this multi-valued function and make it continuous and well-defined. This is done by choosing a path that connects the behavior of the function near the origin and infinity without crossing any other branch cuts. Finding the continuous branch cut has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.
hachiroku

Homework Statement

Find the continuous branch cut of a complex logarythm for C\[iy:y=>0]

One of the complex numbers, for example, is -4i

Homework Equations

I don´t understand what to do with the subset. How could I find the continuous branch cut in the subset?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the main value: log(2)+i(3pi/2+2kpi)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the multi-valued definition of the complex logarithm:

[tex]\log(z)=\ln|z|+i\arg(z)[/tex]

What's that look like? I mean a picture of the real and imaginary parts of that function. You do Mathematica?

1. What is a complex logarithm?

A complex logarithm is a mathematical function that maps a complex number to another complex number. It is defined as the inverse of the complex exponential function, where the base of the exponential function is a complex number.

2. Why is it necessary to find the continuous branch cut of a complex logarithm?

The complex logarithm function has multiple values for a single input, making it a multi-valued function. In order to make it a single-valued function, a branch cut is required to be defined. This allows the function to be continuous and well-defined.

3. What is a branch cut?

A branch cut is a line or curve on the complex plane where the function is not defined. It is used to define the principal value of a multi-valued function, such as the complex logarithm, by restricting the domain of the function.

4. How do you find the continuous branch cut of a complex logarithm?

The continuous branch cut of a complex logarithm can be found by analyzing the behavior of the function near the origin and near infinity. By choosing a path that connects these two points and does not cross any other branch cuts, we can define the branch cut of the function.

5. What are some applications of finding the continuous branch cut of a complex logarithm?

The complex logarithm is used in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and finance. Some specific applications include solving differential equations, calculating electrical circuits, and modeling complex financial data.