Which combinations should I take for my B.Sc?

In summary, the most common combinations for a B.Sc degree are Biology, Chemistry, and Physics; Mathematics, Physics, and Computer Science; and Psychology, Biology, and Chemistry. Students are typically allowed to choose their own combination, but it is important to check with the university and program requirements. The best combination will depend on the individual's interests and career goals, and some combinations may have prerequisites. Changing combinations after starting the degree may result in additional coursework and should be discussed with an academic advisor.
Kindayr
Hey there, I'm currently a first year physics student at the University of Western Ontario (UWO), and intent to register is approaching (March, I panic easily) and I really need to think about what modules I want to take.

The way it works here is you have 20 credits to get for a 4 year degree: 5 credits per year.

An Honors Specialization is 9/15 credits (5 for first year are just prerequisites), and you have to maintain a 70%.

A Major is 6/15 credits, and you need a 60% average.

A Minor is 4/15 credits, with no average requirement.

Its now end of the first term and my average is well above what it needs to be, so I'm not worried about difficulty in my choices, just which combination I want/what would be best for me.

Up to this point, I've been whole-heartedly behind an http://westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2009/pg722.html" . The Minor covers a lot of courses I really want to take in fourth year (QMII and III, EM II and Classical Field Theory, ACM II, Intro to EP, Linear Operators for the Physical Sciences), but it lacks a lot of math courses. I'm extremely strong in math, and am very interested, and that's where my dilemma lies.

Recently, I've been looking into an Honors Specialization in Astrophysics with a http://westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2009/pg601.html" so I can take a lot of math courses. The problem here though, is I don't get to take all those courses that the Minor allowed me to take. So what I'm contemplating taking Spring/Summer semesters at least half time to take extra courses I need so I have room for them later (but this sucks cause I'm applying for an NSERC scholarship and internship this summer, and if I get one (though unlikely for first years, even if my average is well over the advised) I won't be able to take the courses).

Then I started thinking about the Honors Specialization in Astrophysics with a http://westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2009/pg688.html" for even more math courses, but again I would have to take extra courses to take the ones I want.

Lastly, I've contemplated an http://westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2009/pg598.html" , where I'd get to take all the maths and all the upper year physics classes, but I wouldn't be in the Physics Department, and a lot of the lab classes that I would originally be taking, I wouldn't, and I'd be missing out on all my astrophysics classes.

What do I do!

If it was up to me, I'd be doing two degrees concurrently, lol, Astrophysics with the Minor, and Applied Math with a Major in Math.

I guess what I'm asking is what is better for me in the future: grad school, etc.

I can handle the workload, that isn't a big deal (first year's been an absolute bore academically, almost as bad as high school)... I guess I'm just too interested in too many topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear first year physics student,

It sounds like you have a lot of options and interests to consider for your future studies. I can understand your desire to pursue multiple degrees and different areas of study. However, it's important to also consider what will be most beneficial for your future goals and career.

Firstly, it's great to hear that you are doing well in your current courses and have a strong interest in math and physics. This will definitely be an advantage for you in any field you choose to pursue. When it comes to deciding between different degree options, it's important to consider what your end goal is. Are you interested in pursuing a career in astrophysics or another field of physics? Do you see yourself working in research or industry? Or are you considering other options such as teaching or a career in applied math?

If your ultimate goal is to pursue a career in astrophysics, then it may be beneficial for you to consider the Honors Specialization in Astrophysics with a Minor in Physics. This will allow you to take the necessary math and physics courses for your specialization while also getting exposure to other areas of physics through the Minor. It's also important to note that having a strong foundation in math is crucial for success in astrophysics, so taking extra math courses may be beneficial even if they are not required for your degree.

On the other hand, if you are more interested in pursuing a career in applied math or another field, then it may be worth considering the Honors Specialization in Astrophysics with a Major in Applied Mathematics. This will allow you to focus more on your interest in math while still getting a strong foundation in astrophysics. It's also worth mentioning that having a minor or major in another field can make you stand out in the job market and provide a unique skill set.

Ultimately, it's important to weigh your options and consider what will be most beneficial for your future goals. If you are unsure, I would recommend speaking with academic advisors, professors, and other students in your department to get their insights and advice. You can also look into the research and career opportunities available in each field to help guide your decision.

Best of luck with your studies and future endeavors!

my advice to you would be to carefully consider your long-term career goals and interests before making a decision on your B.Sc. combination. While it may seem tempting to take on multiple degrees or majors, it is important to have a clear focus in order to excel in your chosen field.

If your goal is to pursue a career in astrophysics, then the Honors Specialization in Astrophysics with a Minor in Applied Math may be the best option for you. This combination will provide you with a strong foundation in both astrophysics and mathematics, which are essential for graduate studies in this field. It also allows you to take courses in both astrophysics and applied math, giving you a well-rounded education.

However, if you are interested in a career in pure mathematics, then the Honors Specialization in Applied Math with a Major in Math may be a better fit for you. This combination will provide you with a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and theories, which are crucial for advanced research in this field.

Ultimately, the best combination for you will depend on your personal interests and career goals. I would recommend speaking with a career advisor or faculty members in both the Physics and Math departments to discuss your options and get their insights. It is also important to consider any potential limitations, such as time constraints and course availability, before making a decision. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Which combinations should I take for my B.Sc?

1. What are the most common combinations for a B.Sc degree?

The most common combinations for a B.Sc degree are Biology, Chemistry, and Physics; Mathematics, Physics, and Computer Science; and Psychology, Biology, and Chemistry. However, it ultimately depends on the specific requirements of your university and program.

2. Can I choose any combination for my B.Sc degree?

Yes, most universities allow students to choose their own combination of subjects for their B.Sc degree. However, it is important to check with your university and program to ensure that your chosen combination fulfills the requirements for your degree.

3. How do I decide which combination is best for me?

The best combination for you will depend on your interests, strengths, and future career goals. It is important to choose subjects that you are passionate about and that align with your career aspirations. It is also helpful to research the job market and see which combinations are in demand.

4. Are there any prerequisites for certain combinations?

Yes, some combinations may have prerequisites that need to be met before you can take certain courses. For example, if you want to study Biology and Chemistry, you may need to have taken high school courses in those subjects or complete introductory courses in college before advancing to higher-level courses.

5. Can I change my combination after starting my B.Sc degree?

It is possible to change your combination after starting your B.Sc degree, but it may result in a longer time to complete your degree and additional coursework. It is important to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes to your combination.