Which coordinate is cyclic in this case

In summary, the Lagrangian in new coordinates has a cyclic coordinate which is a function of the energy.
aaaa202
Consider a simple two particle system with two point masses of mass m at x1 and x2 with a potential energy relative to each other which depends on the difference in their coordinates V = V(x1-x2)

The lagrangian is:

L = ½m(x1')2 + ½m(x2')2 + V(x1-x2)

Obviously their total momentum is conserved d/dt(mx1' + mx2') = 0, which can be verified by plugging into the lagrangian. But there is no cyclic coordinates in the lagrangian. Is it possible to put it in a form where this hidden cyclic coordinate is shown?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Try to express your lagrangian in terms of
y1=x1+x2
y2=x1-x2

ahh nice.
So you get:

1/4my12 + 1/4my22 - V(y2) = 0

Is it possible to transform to a situation with all coordinates cyclic?

It seems to be the motion in an inertial frame of reference. Well in that case x1 - x2 must be constant I think, so potential energy can be omitted as a constant. What is clear is that potential energy is a function of generalised coordinates, so it has to be Cartesian coordinates as well.

First of all the Lagrangian in the new coordinates
[tex]L=\frac{\mu}{2}(\dot{y}_1^2+\dot{y}_2^2)-V(y_2)[/tex]
with [itex]\mu=m/2[/itex].

To answer the question, whether you can find a set of coordinates, which all are cyclic, you should read about the Hamilton-Jacobi partial differential equation and action-angle variables.

In your case there is for sure another conserved quantity! Think which that might be!

well that's the energy but that has nothing to do with cyclic coordinates.
Also I did read Hamilton-Jacobi theory but that takes its basis in the hamiltonian formulation. So I guess it's not really possible to transform to a frame with all coordinates cyclic UNLESS you use the hamiltonian formulation with more freedom to vary your conjugate variables?

To get a second cyclic variable, you would need some parameter which describes the time-evolution of your (y2-)system with fixed energy. If V is quadratic (or at least gives oscillations in some way), this would be the phase of the oscillation, for example.
I doubt that you can do this transformation in an explicit way with a general V.

1. What does it mean for a coordinate to be cyclic?

A coordinate is considered cyclic if it remains constant while other coordinates change. This means that the value of the cyclic coordinate does not depend on the values of the other coordinates.

2. How do I determine which coordinate is cyclic in a given case?

To determine which coordinate is cyclic, you can analyze the equations that describe the system. Look for a coordinate that does not appear in any of the equations or appears as a constant. This coordinate is most likely the cyclic one.

3. Why is it important to identify the cyclic coordinate?

Identifying the cyclic coordinate is important because it allows us to simplify the equations and make the problem easier to solve. It also helps us understand the behavior of the system and its underlying principles.

4. Is there a specific method for identifying the cyclic coordinate?

There is no specific method for identifying the cyclic coordinate as it depends on the specific system and its equations. However, understanding the concept of cyclic coordinates and analyzing the equations carefully can help in identifying it.

5. Can a coordinate be cyclic in one case but not in another?

Yes, a coordinate can be cyclic in one case but not in another. It depends on the equations and the specific conditions of the system. It is important to analyze each case separately to determine which coordinate is cyclic.