Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which coordinate is cyclic in this case

1. Oct 12, 2012 #1
    Consider a simple two particle system with two point masses of mass m at x1 and x2 with a potential energy relative to each other which depends on the difference in their coordinates V = V(x1-x2)

The lagrangian is:

L = ½m(x1')2 + ½m(x2')2 + V(x1-x2)

Obviously their total momentum is conserved d/dt(mx1' + mx2') = 0, which can be verified by plugging in to the lagrangian. But there is no cyclic coordinates in the lagrangian. Is it possible to put it in a form where this hidden cyclic coordinate is shown?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Try to express your lagrangian in terms of
    y1=x1+x2
    y2=x1-x2

4. Oct 12, 2012 #3
    ahh nice.
    So you get:

1/4my12 + 1/4my22 - V(y2) = 0

Is it possible to transform to a situation with all coordinates cyclic?

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4
    It seems to be the motion in an inertial frame of reference. Well in that case x1 - x2 must be constant I think, so potential energy can be omitted as a constant. What is clear is that potential energy is a function of generalised coordinates, so it has to be Cartesian coordinates as well.

6. Oct 13, 2012 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

First of all the Lagrangian in the new coordinates
    [tex]L=\frac{\mu}{2}(\dot{y}_1^2+\dot{y}_2^2)-V(y_2)[/tex]
    with [itex]\mu=m/2[/itex].

To answer the question, whether you can find a set of coordinates, which all are cyclic, you should read about the Hamilton-Jacobi partial differential equation and action-angle variables.

In your case there is for sure another conserved quantity! Think which that might be!

7. Oct 13, 2012 #6
    well that's the energy but that has nothing to do with cyclic coordinates.
    Also I did read Hamilton-Jacobi theory but that takes its basis in the hamiltonian formulation. So I guess it's not really possible to transform to a frame with all coordinates cyclic UNLESS you use the hamiltonian formulation with more freedom to vary your conjugate variables?

8. Oct 13, 2012 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

To get a second cyclic variable, you would need some parameter which describes the time-evolution of your (y2-)system with fixed energy. If V is quadratic (or at least gives oscillations in some way), this would be the phase of the oscillation, for example.
    I doubt that you can do this transformation in an explicit way with a general V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook