Which Design Should I Use for a Paper Bridge

In summary, the conversation revolves around building a bridge, making a poster, and selecting a design. The website www.gravitykills.net provides instructions for the project, which involves creating a paper bridge that can hold 105 kg and weigh no more than 125 g. The bridge design featured on the website is a truss, with two plane trusses supporting a deck and joined together by members. There is a discussion about which design would work best, with one person suggesting considering the mechanical properties of the construction material, such as the young's modulus and rupture stress.
petern
I'm trying to build a bridge but I have no clue where to start. I need to make a poster first but I don't know which design to use.

I have found a website with the exact same project I need to make. For all the details, please go to www.gravitykills.net.

It has to be made of paper, hold 105 kg, and weigh no more than 125 g.

What I'm trying to do now is select a design and make a poster. The instructions for the poster are on that website.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The bridge's design in the webpage is a truss. It's basicly 2 plane trusses that hold a deck, and joined together by members.

Well a good design need to take into account mechanical properties of the construction material such as young's modulus. You take one of the members and see what is rupture stress of the paper and such. Basically a Stress-Strain diagram of the material will be useful.

1. What is the most important factor to consider when choosing a design for a paper bridge?

The most important factor to consider when choosing a design for a paper bridge is its stability. A bridge should be able to support its own weight as well as any additional weight placed on it without collapsing.

2. How do I determine which design is the strongest for a paper bridge?

The strength of a paper bridge design can be determined by its ability to distribute weight evenly and efficiently. A design with multiple triangles or arches is typically stronger than a design with only one support beam.

3. Are there any specific materials or techniques that work best for paper bridge designs?

While there are various materials and techniques that can be used for paper bridge designs, the most commonly used material is thick, sturdy paper such as cardstock. Techniques such as folding, cutting, and gluing can also be used to enhance the strength and stability of the bridge.

4. Can I use a design that has been tested and proven by others?

Yes, using a design that has been tested and proven by others is a good starting point. However, it is important to note that every bridge project is unique and may require slight modifications to the design to fit the specific materials and conditions.

5. Is there a limit to the size or weight that a paper bridge can support?

Yes, there is a limit to the size and weight that a paper bridge can support. The strength of the paper and the design of the bridge will determine this limit. It is important to test and gradually add weight to the bridge to ensure it does not collapse under the load.