Which elements form covalent bonds?

In summary, there are different types of bonds, ionic and covalent, and they are different kids of bonds.
icakeov
This might be a very basic question.

What are the elements that are in the world of creating covalent bonds, distinguishing themsevels from the elements that never form covalent bonds?

Many thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Where does the question come from? Please remember most bonds have a mixed character, they are to some extent ionic, to some extent covalent. Are you sure there are elements which can be classified as "never covalently bonding"?

Likes icakeov
Thanks for your response Borek.
I was looking up different kinds of bonds and was curious about this specific question. I am not super familiar with the world of chemical bonds.
I think that is my question mainly, are there elements that never covalently bond?
I didn't know that it was usually a mix, so even though there is a covalent "exchange" of electrons, there is usually some other electrostatic or some other form of bond at the same time?

Atoms bond with each other and they don't care about "how" - the only thing that matters is that after they are in a more stable state. Problems start when we try to name and classify bonds - both "ionic" and "covalent" are only our approximations, some ideal states that almost never occur in the real molecules.

But they are different kids of bonds, right? Distinctly different from one another? I guess a rainbow spectrum also merges colors from one to another but there are still distinguishable colors/frequencies, and there are some places where certain spectrums don't reach.
Can a similar thing be said with covalent bonds? Or any other bonds?
I am still confused about whether certain atoms can emerge (or not) certain "types" of bonds, whatever that might mean.
Or is the idea to just talk about "one kind of a bond", with different variations?

The "type" isn't 100% cut and dry. Theyre classified by the electronegativity. See attached pic.

Attachments

• IMG_4228.GIF
    IMG_4228.GIF
    4.9 KB · Views: 624
Likes icakeov
That is super helpful, thanks DS2C!
Now are there certain elements that bond only in the "pure covalent zone", or do most atoms have some, if even super small inclination for either of the other bonds?
It seems that it might be the latter based on everyone's responses. Or am I thinking of all this all wrong?

Another thing that comes to mind, if a molecule gets created where there are more different atoms being added, I imagine that would change it's electronegativity in different parts, and as a result the "type of bond" it can create with other substances. Would that be correct?

And another final question: would that spectrum above include all the types of bonds that can exist, I've read about, Van der Waals, Hydrophobic, π-effects, would all these be somwhere in that drawing?

The simplified version is that bonds between two non-metals are covalent whereas a bond between a non-metal and a metal is ionic, though there are many exceptions.

Last edited:
Likes icakeov
The problem is - as usual in chemistry - you will always find exceptions.

I think your best bet is to really look into how electronegativity works, and that will help you understand bonds. Theres really no exact answer and like Borek said there are exceptions. When I took my Intro Chemistry class I think my professor got real annoyed with me because Id always ask for absolutes and there really arent any.

Likes icakeov
Thanks everyone for your responses, very helpful!

1. What is a covalent bond?

A covalent bond is a type of chemical bond in which atoms share electrons in order to achieve a stable outer electron configuration.

2. Which elements can form covalent bonds?

Covalent bonds can form between non-metal elements, such as carbon, oxygen, and nitrogen.

3. How are covalent bonds different from ionic bonds?

In covalent bonds, electrons are shared between atoms, while in ionic bonds, electrons are transferred from one atom to another.

4. Can covalent bonds form between atoms of the same element?

Yes, covalent bonds can form between atoms of the same element. This is known as a diatomic molecule, such as oxygen (O2) or nitrogen (N2).

5. How do you determine if a compound has covalent bonds?

If a compound is made up of non-metal elements, it is likely to have covalent bonds. Additionally, the compound's properties, such as low melting and boiling points, can also indicate the presence of covalent bonds.