Which Enemy of the Christian Faith Are You?

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
In summary, the atheist and the scientist/philosopher are both atheists. The heretic is a person who believes in a different religion than the Catholic priest. The Christian is someone who practices Christianity. The nothing is an empty category. The Catholic priest is someone who is a priest in the Catholic church.
Dissident Dan said:
Atheist...that "Nothing" blurb is pretty funny, btw.

Nothing was what i got, perhaps that's the best considering I am the philosophy mentor :tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
The first time I got atheist also, which isn't really correct. :cry: By making two changes on questions where my answers were a toss up I got philosopher/scientist, much better... :tongue2:

Okay I did it again and now it says I'm Moses.

Okay not really. It doesn't seem to allow for belief in a God that doesn't micro-manage the universe; or for beliefs that come without a rationalization to support that belief. I think this is why I came up atheist. The author doesn't seem to understand the concepts of faith or moderate beliefs.

notal33t said:
Please understand that "believers" are not a priori morons, just people that look beyond what is called "the real world".

And what would that be?

I'm an atheïst. Big surprise :biggrin:

Last edited:
I vote for God. Somebody has to moderate the cosmological forum page [not to mention collapse the waveform so we can observe all that can be observed]. Beside's, quantum physics insists there must be fluctuations in the cosmic morality fabric.

Man this thread is a bit unfair on Christians. :grumpy:

The Bob (2004 ©)

I seem to be the only Heretic so far. I find myself in some excellent historical company however, many famous scientists, artists, writers, etc. were labeled heretics.

The Bob said:
Man this thread is a bit unfair on Christians. :grumpy:

The Bob (2004 ©)

yes, it does appear that way, however do remember science will not recognize any faith as valid due to the pure definition of science itself, and you are participating in a science forum. :smile: i imagine if some of these who label themselves as atheists were to visit any kind of religious forum, the possibility of them receiving a negative shower of words in regards to natural evolution would be high too. althought these little surveys are fun, i always think it's best to not assign a label to yourself as an individual, because afterall, an individual isn't one when they follow another's way :smile:

Kerrie said:
yes, it does appear that way, however do remember science will not recognize any faith as valid due to the pure definition of science itself, and you are participating in a science forum. :smile: i imagine if some of these who label themselves as atheists were to visit any kind of religious forum, the possibility of them receiving a negative shower of words in regards to natural evolution would be high too. althought these little surveys are fun, i always think it's best to not assign a label to yourself as an individual, because afterall, an individual isn't one when they follow another's way :smile:

Nice Point. We should all learn to get along. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

We have to remember this is all just for fun. It's a game, not to be taken seriously. Clearly there are Christians here getting labeled as atheists by that game. To try to lump everyone into 7 categories isn't something to be serious about. As has been pointed out, it doesn't take into account all the flavors of Christianity, so if you aren't of the Bible-thumping, proselytizing variety, you're probably going to wind up being a nothing or atheist or something like that on this quiz.

The proper result for me would be: Born-Again-Catholic-Billy Jack-Mormon with tendencies towards Buddhism, but I didn't see that one come up.

Ivan Seeking said:
The proper result for me would be: Born-Again-Catholic-Billy Jack-Mormon with tendencies towards Buddhism, but I didn't see that one come up.
Um, how do you parse that? Is it:

Born-Again / Catholic / Billy Jack / Mormon
(and if so what's a "Billy Jack"?)

or maybe:

Born-Again-Catholic-Billy / Jack-Mormon
(in which case what's a Catholic-Billy? a Jack-Mormon?)

or ?

:confused:

notal33t said:
Please understand that "believers" are not a priori morons, just people that look beyond what is called "the real world".

Us Philosophers and Scientists do the same thing. I don't think who ever made that little voting site was Christian. Christianity teaches to treat those around you with the same respect and friendship you yourself would want from others. There are no enemies in christianity.

Why do you think the United States, founded by our Four Fathers based the laws of the United States on the Ten Commandments? As a result we live in a country where people have freedom of speech and our free to practice there religion whether it be Islamic, Judaism, christian, and other religions.

There are symmetries between Christianity and Science. I forget the Philosopher's name, but he stated that in order for a large group of people to live together, you must establish a system to keep order within that large group. Christianity teaches the Ten Commandments, which were used by our four fathers to establish a system to keep order in the United States, being populated by a large majority. As a result we now live in a Country that allows a lot of things that which makes this country great. This country has always been the country that would ask if they could help other countries in a crisis. This country itself has acted as a True Christian treating all fellow Countries as brothers and sisters.

However, this country also believes in punishment. We are willing to punish those who attack us. We are an eye for an eye country. Yet this country is forgiving, and allowing for any nation to ask for our help if they need it. And this country has never backed down from another country needing help. Even if that country did not ask for help. We stepped in France and took out the Nazis and gave the French back there country. They didn't ask for our help, but we did it because we had to. This country bases its actions and decisions on what it believes in. Freedom, forgiveness, justice, and morality.

Don't know why I typed that all. Just felt like it.

plover said:
Um, how do you parse that? Is it:

Born-Again / Catholic / Billy Jack / Mormon
(and if so what's a "Billy Jack"?)

or maybe:

Born-Again-Catholic-Billy / Jack-Mormon
(in which case what's a Catholic-Billy? a Jack-Mormon?)

or ?

:confused:

Well I can't imagine why there is any confusion! :biggrin: Billy Jack refers to my bit of native American heritage and my interest in these beliefs. The Jack Mormon works since I am likely excumuinicated from the LDS by now - considering I haven't attended for twenty years. Since I have been born again and was raised catholic...and am a Jack Catholic at least... In fact it is actually much more complicated than that. I explored a lot of religions while in my early twenties.

Last edited:
Oh yes, Billy Jack was the name of a fictional character from a 1970's movie by the same name. The movie sought to popularize the plight of the modern native Americans. It also explored a few of their beliefs...in a Hollywood sort of way.

Have you ever heard the old song "One Tin Soldier" by Coven? It was the theme song for the movie.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Have you ever heard the old song "One Tin Soldier" by Coven? It was the theme song for the movie.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
Go ahead and cheat a friend,
Do it in the name of Heaven,
And be justified in the end...

was that the one? I woke up with that stuck in my head one morning last week.

synchronicity.

Zoobie

That's not on the list at Tom's link, but it is an obvious extrapolation of a gedanken experiment in Halliday and Resnik.

Math Is Hard said:
Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
Go ahead and cheat a friend,
Do it in the name of Heaven,
And be justified in the end...

was that the one? I woke up with that stuck in my head one morning last week.

synchronicity.

A golden oldie: I still love that song. I sent it to you in lieu of the fact that we would be having this discussion. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I see the light, and it burns!
Where can I buy a T-shirt with that on :)

I am a Christian, but still I match scientist and philosopher.

Say, what were we talking about here ... Billy Jack...no, T-shirts...no, no, the basis of the US judicial system and foreign policy ? No...I get it; the obvious extrapolation of a gedanken experiment in Halliday and Resnik ! :biggrin:

Nothing couldn't - care - less

"one of christianity's worst enemies" {mispelling in original text!}
"utterly untouchable"

Boy, am I going to burn!

Actually, I disagree with one part of the diagnosis. I DO care what people believe and how it affects the way they think and act.

AGB

------

P.S. I thought "atheist" just meant someone has dedicated onesself to the great god Athe (two-syllables) instead of one of the usual divinities. :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:
Well I can't imagine why there is any confusion! :biggrin: Billy Jack refers to my bit of native American heritage and my interest in these beliefs. The Jack Mormon works since I am likely excumuinicated from the LDS by now - considering I haven't attended for twenty years. Since I have been born again and was raised catholic...and am a Jack Catholic at least... In fact it is actually much more complicated than that. I explored a lot of religions while in my early twenties.
So what you're saying is that one of the test results ought to have been "Been-There-Done-That"? :biggrin:

Are you familiar with the essay "God and I" by http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight http://nielsenhayden.com/, which concerns how she (more or less) forced the LDS to formally excommunicate her?

zeronem said:
Why do you think the United States, founded by our Four Fathers based the laws of the United States on the Ten Commandments?

Please see my response to this here.

I didn't want to derail this thread with my rant.

I'm a Christian! wooohooo!

plover said:
So what you're saying is that one of the test results ought to have been "Been-There-Done-That"? :biggrin:

Are you familiar with the essay "God and I" by http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight http://nielsenhayden.com/, which concerns how she (more or less) forced the LDS to formally excommunicate her?

No but thanks. Very interesting.
And darned if the fellow didn't stand up, address the Almighty, and say "We thank Thee, O Lord, for bringing us together on this occasion--." I nearly swallowed my tongue trying to keep from laughing.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I can see why.

Two comments: I was told the long underswear is intended to prevent exposing one's self in any way that may be improper. The reason for this is to avoid tempting others. I don't know if this is really the original motive or not.

Edit: If this was really the motive - to prevent tempting others - then I would expect that the underwear would not be required once a person reaches a certain age; say by age...well...I dare not say when. :redface:

As for the curiously placed holes in the long underwear, I think this myth about the Mormons actually comes from the now all but extinct [Traditional] Shakers. It was not allowed for the bodies of a husband and wife to touch except through a hole in a sheet. :surprise:

Boy, that would be fun. :yuck:

Last edited:
Philosopher/scientist..and umm, catholic :biggrin:

zoobyshoe said:
Zoobie

That's not on the list at Tom's link, but it is an obvious extrapolation of a gedanken experiment in Halliday and Resnik.

Only in the sense that it's an obvious extrapolation of any good book on relativity. :biggrin:

Philosopher/Scientist

I'm a big nothing it says. I think agnostic would be more correct

Last edited:
Thx for the quiz. It was nice! Looks like there's plenty of atheists here - I'm one too! Anyway, i think it was the 'question5. Are you afraid of God?' I answered 'I'm not sure he exists'. Isn't that obvious?!

I guess it's a funny quiz, but pretty useless ! I've been flattered by philosopher/scientist, but I wanted that kind of result to get out ! And I would have been mad if they call me nothing !

physicskid said:
Thx for the quiz. It was nice! Looks like there's plenty of atheists here - I'm one too! Anyway, i think it was the 'question5. Are you afraid of God?' I answered 'I'm not sure he exists'. Isn't that obvious?!

That is not the answer of an atheïst. An atheïst would have responded "What is there to be afraid of?". Your answer is that of an agnost.

Philosopher/Scientist

On the 1st question the answers are in this order:
christian
philoscience
heretic
priest
creationist
atheist
nothing

On the second question the answers are in the order:
nothing
atheist
creationist
heretic
philoscience
priest
christian
On the 3rd question the answers are in the order
nothing
creationist
heretic
athiest
philoscience
priest
christian
On the 4th question the answers are in the order
athiest
philoscience
heretic
creationist
priest
christian
nothing
on the 5th question the answers are
heretic
christian
philoscience
creationist
atheist
priest
nothing
on the 6th question they are
heretic
atheist
christian
philoscience
creationist
priest
nothing
I'm not going to tell you the answers to the rest.