Which Fish Would You Prefer to be Slapped With?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Member Poll
In summary: I see that flounder has pulled ahead. Is this because of Enuma's poisonous remarks about sea bass?Since winter has engulfed us once again, I would prefer that the slaps be with summery fish. Having a beer or two in the bay snagging a few flounder, grilling them with some vegetables, and eating them with fried potatoes, salads, etc... no that's not good...I see that flounder has pulled ahead. Is this because of Enuma's poisonous remarks about sea bass?Yes, I believe that's what has caused the shift in popularity. I think people are hesitant to slap fish that may have been harmed in the making.

Which fish/item would you prefer to be slapped with?

• Halibut

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Flounder (fresh)

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Flounder (frozen)

• Shad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Octopus

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Herring

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Sea Bass

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Shark

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Blubber

• Pickle

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
Evo said:
I heard there is a youtube video of an octopus eating a shark at the Seattle Aquarium. We might need to rethink octopus. I'd hate to have a new member eaten during their welcome ceremony.

Just Insane, couldn't believe it! :eek:

Is this a serious thread, and is this "fish slapping" you are referring to actually something different to slapping someone with a fish? Is it like a fishing technique?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
_Mayday_ said:
Is this a serious thread, and is this "fish slapping" you are referring to actually something different to slapping someone with a fish? Is it like a fishing technique?

Shhhhh...we could all be expelled for hazing...!

_Mayday_ said:
I find it similar to pit lamping, a (banned?) technique used for hunting of game.

Fish slapping [itex]\approx[/itex] pit lamping - sharp projectile weapon + fish.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
http://www.sfu.ca/~smgray/images/index.3.jpg

ouch! :bugeye:
Egads. I got that name off a list of extinct species. What have I done?

_Mayday_ said:

Just Insane, couldn't believe it! :eek:
I heard it described, so I refuse to watch it.

You ask if this is serious? Of course it is. We actually had one new member that said they had heard about our fish slapping of newbies and signed up to request a fish slap.

Of course it's a virtual slap.

Does anyone remember how we went from feeding new members a choice of regular and low carb cereal to serving fish to whacking them with it? I mean it all makes sense, I just have no memory of how it all happened. :redface:

lisab said:
Shhhhh...we could all be expelled for hazing...!
lisab, you are definitely one of us. :approve: I see you wisely chose the herring.

I thought a sea cucumber should be on the list:

DonkeyDung97.jpe

it's almost a sea 'pickle'

Last edited:
Sea cucumbers vomit their own digestive system on you. Thats not nice.

Evo said:
Does anyone remember how we went from feeding new members a choice of regular and low carb cereal to serving fish to whacking them with it? I mean it all makes sense, I just have no memory of how it all happened. :redface:

y'know, I don't recall.. I kinda thought it was part of a plan to annoy PETA.

I can not remember being fish slaped, but no one would want to do that to a nice guy like me.

wolram said:
I can not remember being fish slaped, but no one would want to do that to a nice guy like me.

I'm still struggling to understand the thread. I can't say I have been E-Slapped myself or E-Fish-Slapped, but there is a first time for most things.

_Mayday_ said:
I'm still struggling to understand the thread. I can't say I have been E-Slapped myself or E-Fish-Slapped, but there is a first time for most things.
Watch how it's done.

_Mayday_ said:
What fish do you want?

Evo said:
What fish do you want?

Do you give Trout slaps?

I don't know the exact etymology of the "fish slapping", but I'm willing to guess that it may have been a mondegreen of "beatch slapping".

Are there non-fish options for vegetarian members?

edit to provide an alternative spelling for the word that got bleeped out - since bleeping the word in this case defeats the point of the post.

Last edited:
_Mayday_ said:
Do you give Trout slaps?
For you, anything. Name your trout.

oedipa maas said:
I don't know the exact etymology of the "fish slapping", but I'm willing to guess that it may have been a mondegreen of "beatch slapping".
On youtube you can see Monty Python doing the fish slap dance.

Are there non-fish options for vegetarian members?
There is a pickle.

We're up to 83,000+ members. I think the octopus would be best. That way you can slap 8 at a time.

BobG said:
We're up to 83,000+ members. I think the octopus would be best. That way you can slap 8 at a time.
Did you see what that octopus did to the shark?

^ The octopus could take on about 20 of us mere mortals.

I've never thought of octopi as being aggressive.

Oh, man... I just watched that. Too cool!

I was fish-slapped with a dead and rotten Carp once "IRL".
I do not know why but I (along with most others) chose the Flounder (fresh), frozen would hurt and should only be used in extreme cases.

I wasn't slapped with a fish when I came here!:cry:
The only welcome I got, was from Moonbear!

Lisa! said:
I wasn't slapped with a fish when I came here!:cry:
The only welcome I got, was from Moonbear!
Aww, Lisa!

<THWACK>

I used a small flounder, it's a very delicate fish.

WELCOME LISA!

Math Is Hard said:
I've never thought of octopi as being aggressive.
They're intelligent, voracious predators.

DaveC426913 said:
They're intelligent, voracious predators.

I think that one was a Chucktopus. :cool:

Last edited:
What's this, Evo, MIH? No Salmon?!

G01 said:
What's this, Evo, MIH? No Salmon?!
Wow, you're right! I guess people will have to write in votes for Salmon. :redface:

Evo said:
Wow, you're right! I guess people will have to write in votes for Salmon. :redface:

Geez! No Salmon...And I thought you guys were professional fish slappers!:biggrin:My vote is for salmon!

Last edited:
Why have salmon when you can have shark?

Evo said:
Aww, Lisa!

<THWACK>

I used a small flounder, it's a very delicate fish.

WELCOME LISA!

Wow! Thanks!11:!)

I voted shark before it occurred to me that I never made a "new member" thread :eek:. Go easy on me.

Math Jeans said:
I voted shark before it occurred to me that I never made a "new member" thread :eek:. Go easy on me.

THWAAAACCCKKKKK!

Since we like you, I decided to go with a little sand shark. They're still a little sandpapery when that skin hits you, but a little exfoliation never hurt anyone.

I prefer the frozen flounder for most new members, though. It works in all seasons, don't need to sit around waiting for it to thaw or having to worry that it's going rotten in summer, and gives a really satisfying SMACK when it makes contact. If you swing it just right, you can even use it to propel the new member out of the welcome thread and soundly into another neighboring thread so they have no excuse not to get on with posting. :approve:

While kayaking in New Zealand I saw a seal eating an octopus... the seal thrashed around with the octopus in her mouth until a leg broke off - then she'd gulp it down and go back for another leg.

There were also killer whales cruising around - apparently they were known to eat the stingrays. They accomplished this by approaching from the front and biting down before they got to the tail.

Yes! My choice (octopus) prevails! Ha ha.
Lisab...herring arent all small
And the choices of blubber and pickle??What??

I pickle-slapped my sister at Christmas. I went out to eat with my family and she was in a REALLY mopey mood and wouldn't order anything. Total Debbie Downer. Anyway, I picked up a fairly large dill chip and smacked her right on the cheek. My brother just about died! He said, "OMG! Did you just pickle-slap her??!" We were laughing so hard, mostly because Sis finally cracked a smile, even though she was trying her hardest not to.