• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Which, if any, is/are valid forms of the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

• Thread starter ss883
  • Start date
What I answered is in brackets...what did I answer incorrectly?

• It is impossible to construct a device that, operating in a cycle, will produce no effect other than the extraction of heat from a reservoir and the performance of an equivalent amount of work. [True]
  • For all naturally occurring processes, Sgen > 0. [True]
  • It is impossible to construct a device that, operating in a cycle, will produce no effect other than the transfer of heat from a lower-temperature reservoir to a higher-temperature reservoir. [True]
  • It is impossible to construct a device that, operating in a cycle, will produce no effect other than the transfer of heat from a higher-temperature reservoir to a lower-temperature reservoir. [True]
  • Ein - Ein = ∆Esystem [False]
  • For all naturally occurring processes, Sgen ≤ 0. [False]
  • All of the above statements are true. [False]

Answers and Replies

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What I answered is in brackets...what did I answer incorrectly?

• It is impossible to construct a device that, operating in a cycle, will produce no effect other than the extraction of heat from a reservoir and the performance of an equivalent amount of work. [True]
  • For all naturally occurring processes, Sgen > 0. [True]
  • It is impossible to construct a device that, operating in a cycle, will produce no effect other than the transfer of heat from a lower-temperature reservoir to a higher-temperature reservoir. [True]
  • It is impossible to construct a device that, operating in a cycle, will produce no effect other than the transfer of heat from a higher-temperature reservoir to a lower-temperature reservoir. [True]
  • Ein - Ein = ∆Esystem [False]
  • For all naturally occurring processes, Sgen ≤ 0. [False]
  • All of the above statements are true. [False]
[*] It is impossible to construct a device that, operating in a cycle, will produce no effect other than the transfer of heat from a higher-temperature reservoir to a lower-temperature reservoir. [True]

I think this one is the problem.