1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which, if any, is/are valid forms of the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

1. Jul 7, 2011 #1
    What I answered is in brackets...what did I answer incorrectly?

• It is impossible to construct a device that, operating in a cycle, will produce no effect other than the extraction of heat from a reservoir and the performance of an equivalent amount of work. [True]
    • For all naturally occurring processes, Sgen > 0. [True]
    • It is impossible to construct a device that, operating in a cycle, will produce no effect other than the transfer of heat from a lower-temperature reservoir to a higher-temperature reservoir. [True]
    • It is impossible to construct a device that, operating in a cycle, will produce no effect other than the transfer of heat from a higher-temperature reservoir to a lower-temperature reservoir. [True]
    • Ein - Ein = ∆Esystem [False]
    • For all naturally occurring processes, Sgen ≤ 0. [False]
    • All of the above statements are true. [False]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[*] It is impossible to construct a device that, operating in a cycle, will produce no effect other than the transfer of heat from a higher-temperature reservoir to a lower-temperature reservoir. [True]

I think this one is the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook