Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Which, if any, is/are valid forms of the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

1. Jul 7, 2011 #1
    What I answered is in brackets...what did I answer incorrectly?

• It is impossible to construct a device that, operating in a cycle, will produce no effect other than the extraction of heat from a reservoir and the performance of an equivalent amount of work. [True]
    • For all naturally occurring processes, Sgen > 0. [True]
    • It is impossible to construct a device that, operating in a cycle, will produce no effect other than the transfer of heat from a lower-temperature reservoir to a higher-temperature reservoir. [True]
    • It is impossible to construct a device that, operating in a cycle, will produce no effect other than the transfer of heat from a higher-temperature reservoir to a lower-temperature reservoir. [True]
    • Ein - Ein = ∆Esystem [False]
    • For all naturally occurring processes, Sgen ≤ 0. [False]
    • All of the above statements are true. [False]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[*] It is impossible to construct a device that, operating in a cycle, will produce no effect other than the transfer of heat from a higher-temperature reservoir to a lower-temperature reservoir. [True]

I think this one is the problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook