1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which is best way to go among digital, analog, microwave/RF or DSP

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    Hi all,
    I have been thinking about doing Master's degree in Electrical Engineering but I'm really not sure which way to go. In fact I'm more into digital and DSP but I though it would be great idea to hear from experts in the field regarding the future job market and salaries especially in US/Canada for these two and about analog and microwave/RF. What is the hot industries for each of these? I'd really appreciate any comments and suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2
    You can't go wrong with either of these fields. In general, my guess is that the RF and Microwave field could pay better, but job security might be worse than a job working on DSP, which has all sorts of applications.

But, as with any such opinions, past experience is no indication of future performance.

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3

fss

Study what you enjoy, not what you think will get you a better job.

5. Feb 8, 2012 #4
    Thank you both Jake and fss. I really enjoy learning electronics in general but I just thought it would be wise to consult those who took a similar route. DSP is indeed fun and promising and so is analog but I guess I'd stick with DSP and embedded.

6. Feb 8, 2012 #5
    All good comments and I'll add this too- if you fancy yourself a good engineer, plan on doing them all eventually. I have done designs requiring all four and there's a good chance you will too over your career.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook