Which school for master's in EE and related career questions

In summary, the conversation discusses various career paths for an electronics and communication engineering graduate, including a job as a field engineer at Schlumberger or pursuing a VLSI diploma in Egypt. The individual is also interested in transitioning to a career in mechanical engineering or exploring other fields within electrical engineering, such as power electronics or test engineering. They are seeking advice on which path to pursue and are also considering obtaining an MBA with a focus on project management.
Abdelrahman
Hey my name is Abdelrahman I've just graduated this year with a B.S in Electronics and Communication engineering (Egypt) which is basically the regular US EE track but with a special focus on digital and analog circuit design, communication systems and DSP.
The problem I'm facing right now (or the blessing however you might look at it) is that I'm having a couple of different career paths, the first is that I’m offered a job at Schlumberger as a field engineer, a job as you may know is highly compensated especially when compared to other jobs here in Egypt.
The second choice that I’m being offered is taking a highly selective grant- based 9-Month VLSI diploma that will almost guarantee me a position in a couple of Egypt’s electronic design centers (not so big compared to the US ones) or in the design center for company like Mentor Graphics here in Egypt.
I've been thinking about the two positions carefully considering that I would much love to work in the latter but then again a starting salary for an engineer at Mentor or any other Egyptian design firm would be about 700$ while the base salary for a Schlumberger field engineer would be in the range of 2500$-3000$.
My question is that if I would consider the electronic design career path, what chances do I have at traveling to the US/Canada to precede a better career after I finish my diploma and masters and have 2 to 3 years of experience in Mentor Graphics here in Egypt or in one of the design centers given below, or should I just go for the field engineer job which right now seems like the better choice although I'm not very fond of it (not because of the hard work by the way, I love that aspect, but because the lack of hardcore design engineering in it).
Some of Egypt’s top design centers:
http://www.sysdsoft.com/
http://www.si-ware.com/
http://www.si-vision.com/
http://www.newportmediainc.com/

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a chemistry major applying to grad schools in chemical engineering and I'm interested in studying combustion and fluid dynamics. I'm interested in how engines and the chemical reactions that fuel them work however those are all areas of research done by Mechanical Engineering departments. Is there anyway to do an interdepartmental PhD thesis or somehow transition from ChemE to MechE after the degree?

I'm thinking about applying directly to the MechE departments but I just don't think I have the physics background since I'm a chem major. I only have 2 semesters of intro physics but I do have math through Diff Eq. and one intro ChemE class (I will hopefully take another in the Spring). I'm applying to ChemE because from what I understand its a versatile degree and they can do anything.

I am currently doing electronics and communication engineering, I am aware of my scope. But what concerns me is what field currently has a very good scope for the future. My aim is to enter some space research agencies. I am currently an active member of my colleges Robotics club have done a project on image processing. I would be grateful if some one can give me advice me about this or atleast give me an idea of the various field of specialization available to me.
Hoping to receive some really good advice from the professionals.

==============================================================================
The International Symposium on Photonics and Optoelectronics (SOPO2009)
Call for Papers
http://www.scirp.org/conf/sopo2009
Wuhan, China August 14-16,2009
===============================================================================
This symposium is sponsored by IEEE Laser & Electro-Optics Society (LEOS),
the International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE) and Wuhan University.
The conference proceedings will be published by IEEE. All the papers accepted
will be included in the IEEE Xplore and indexed by Ei Compendex. For more
information, please contact : sopo@srpublishing.org
Topics:
Laser Technology and Applications
Optical Communication and Sensors
Optical Storage and Technologies
Optoeletronic Devices and Integration
Medical and Biological Applications
The conference will be held in Wuhan, on the banks of the Yangtze River where
the Three Gorges Dams are located.

Hey all, I'm a little distraught and hope someone can provide enlightenment.

First off I should say that I am enthralled with electrical engineering. I love the science and ideas behind it. There are so many aspects of being an EE that appeal to me. That being said...

I am in my junior year working on my B.S. in electrical engineering. For the last two years I have been employed at a military simulation company as an electrical designer/drafter. Though I have gained invaluable experience at this company, it has allowed me to see that I do not want to work in simulation once I have my degree.

I work directly with many EE's. The main issues I have with this career path is that all the engineers (and myself for that matter) sit in a cubicle all day staring at a computer completing some very mundane tasks. I am looking for a more exciting hands on career path within electrical engineering.

I have heard that power electronics/power generation can be exciting. Also, test engineering seems like it would be interesting. But, I really have no idea. If anyone works in these fields I would like to know how you like your job. Or if anybody works in any other exciting industry within the electrical engineering profession I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks for reading!

Hey new to the site but so far it has been helpful.

Now to my question. MBA with Project Management vs Masters in Engineering. I just got my BS (unfortunately not in engineering) and I wanted to compare these 2 paths.

I have a little experience with construction management and familiar with pmp and pmbok. I enjoyed the work and there seems to be good money involved. Additionally, the course work when compared to anything related to engineering is much easier. However, I have always had a drive to learn more and engineering is what I find most interesting. I know that many project/construction managers have engineering degrees as well.

SO, what are the REAL World pros/cons of each and the likelihood of landing a nice CM job (over here in the states hopefully). I am split and want good personal experiences and information from real people.

Thanks for your time in advance

I am a student of all things mechanical and electrical. I love to build things. Anything and everything. More than anything, though, I love electricity. I love everything about it. I would like to continue a lot of Tesla's research in my lifetime, actually. I am currently on my way to a degree in Electrical Engineering. I want a career dealing with high level technology every day, preferably designing or building things (realistic version of Tony Stark...I know, don't laugh). Maybe designing and building cars like the Tesla Roadster (just an idea, I'm up for anything really)? I'm just wondering where I should go to start this. I just need some nudge in the right direction.

Hello there people.

First of all, I'd like to thank in advance to all of you for the attention given to this post.

I'm in the final semester of my Undergraduated Electrical Engineering course, in Portugal.
I'm thinking to take a Master Degree in UK (here is where I have doubts), and maybe stay there working.

What I've seen, there is a MEng and MSc degree, which some people says that it's indiferent which one we should pick (I read, don't know where, that MEng and MSc have or might have the same program - It's true?)

What I've read about those 2 is that, the MEng is like a Bachelor + Master in Engineering. BSc and MSc are Bachelor and Master in Science.

1º Could someone explain me what is the difference between them two?
2º I've read that, the best combination is BEng and then MSc. Others, only MEng. Now I want to ask you guys what difference makes choosing one or other?

In advance, I'd like to take the example here in Portugal, that you'll know what I mean.

Here in Portugal we have the Undergraduated degree in Engineering that takes 3 years. Then the graduated Master degree in engineering, that takes 2 years.

1st situation: We can take the undergraduated degree, and then the master degree in engineering. This can be done in different universities/higher institutes.

2nd situation: There is some sort of MEng, that is the Undergraduated degree + Graduated Master degree, integrated. When I say integrated, means that if you choose to make the integrated Undergraduated degree + Graduated Master degree you'll be only "engineer" or "graduated" if you complete the 5 years. If you make only the 3 years there is no "title" or some sort of thing like that. (I hope that you can understand what I wrote)

3rd situation: If I take the Undergraduated degree, for example in Electrical Engineering (3years) and then I want to make a Graduated Master degree in physics (2 years), from the integrated Undergraduated degree + Graduated Master degree in physics that is possible. Summarizing, I can take only the master degree "part" from other area than Electrical Engineering, like physics.

Now, one of my doubts is related to 3rd situation, comparing this Portugues "method", if I can call it like that, and the UK.

Since I'll take my Undergraduated degree in Electrical Engineering here in Portugal, can I take the MEng in Electrical Engineering from a UK university doing only the Masters "part", and then get the MEng "title"?

I ask this because all the MSc (since there's is the Master "MEng" part alone) are very specific. For example, I'd like to take the Master in Electronics, but there is no MSc (that is a "stand alone" degree) in Electronics (I think. Well, maybe the Edinburgh University. But not the universities that I might be interested, like Imperial College of London, UCL, King's College of London). The electronics field that those universities have are for example, Digital Signal Processing, Analogue Circuit Design (a very specific part of electronics). So, I thought that doing only the Master "part" of a MEng would be a good solution.

Can you guys enlighten me for the best solution, since I'm from another country (even in UE, but still other country) and I want to work in UK?

Best regards and thanks for the attention.

Charles.

As the title states, I plan to apply to Uwaterloo , UofT and Mcmaster as a backup for engineering. I am kinda confused about whether I should apply to ECE as first priortiy and mechanical as second to Uwaterloo, and for other universities whether i may apply to ece or to mecha... What's pulling me towards ECE is the fact that it has a lot of jobs , a decent pay, and basically has physics and math which I am looking for. Moreover it doesn't require much design as mecha does , and I am not really a designing type of person.
What's pulling me towards mechanical is that it involves machinery and cars and i personally prefer classical physics ( studying about pressure, kinematics dynamics) over electricity. However, i do not have the problem knowledge in both of these fields and therefore i am scared about my decision. ECE for me right now is studying computer engineering for 2 years along with electrical which,IMO is boring. I don't really like sitting in front of a computer all day and write 01010 codes. I am pretty sure that's not what ece is all about, therefore i want someone to like briefly tell me about both types of engineering..

your co-operation will be appreciated.

Hi, I am Pham Vu Hong Linh from Vietnam.

I've been creating an application call 7cad Section Designer to calculate the inertia properties and the strength of section.

The application using AutoCAD as graphical media and save section as a block in AutoCAD drawing. Because AutoCAD allows block-nesting, then 7cad Section allows section-nesting too.

With 7cad Section Designer, you can create a section of anyshape, solid or hollow, single material or compound material. The application would run the integration calculation and give you the report of the Area, Moment of Inertia, Radius of Gyration … For compound section, the area of subsections would be scaled proportionally respect to their Elastic Modulus.

You can see the illustration and download the application from my weblog at http://7cad.wordpress.com/7cad-section/. It is a demo version, and is completely free to use.

I thought my application is really great. In the next version, I would build in it the steel section library database. Further more, with this background, I can develop the application to design structural members, and generate drafting drawing, automatically and directly on AutoCAD.

I hope somebody here might find in my project is valuable for his or her company. So far this application is a private project, developing all by myself. Then, I would be very happy to have cooperation with other team.

You can be a software developer, or you can be structural engineering office. If you interest in having my application integrate with your working system, please contact me via my email or my weblog at 7cad.wordpress.com.

Thank you.

i am a US citizen from India. We have a courses on both polymer science and engineering. Are there jobs at the undergraduate level in the US in this field or should i take a campus placement in india. There are MNC's recruiting but i cannot imagine them doing good research. it's just a mere mechanical job probably with some application required.
i really want to work first and then decide on my graduate studies. So should i take the risk of directly applying for a job after i get my degree.
also, when should i start applying through sites ?

I'm an electronics and communication engineering major from India and will be applying this fall for graduate school in 2014 fall.

I was really interested in theoretical physics uptil now (cosmology, strings, hep etc.) and still am but given the abysmal employability of these areas of study, i have decided to study them on my own and not pursue them in grad. School.

Something, that does interest me and that i am currently working on is semiconductor physics and the applications of quantum mechanics.

Would an MS in EE , with a focus on solid state devices or a phd in condensed matter theory, be a better choice ?

I basically want a degree and an eduction that is as close to physics as possible, so that i can retain interest in it and which at the same time, has great job prospects.
Im trying to shoot for the best of both worlds.

I know that an MS in EE would be a safer choice as far as job scope is concerned, but if the job opportunities after a phd in CMP aren't that bad either, i might want to go for a PhD in CMP instead.

Also, what kind of a job scenario am i looking at after a PhD in EE ?

Hello, all.

I've been accepted to some MS programs in EE. My primary concern is that I don't know how to evaluate what I'll "get out of" each program.

I can go to school A. I have a RA offer and a tuition waver at school A from a research group that works on materials for thin-film transistors and solar cells, which interests me. I would start working on research immediately. This group consistently sends MS alumni into the semiconductor device industry in the region (and sometimes National Labs). I've met and gotten along with the PI and the research group over a couple of days. School A is a state school of no particular distinction, as far as I know.

I can go to school B. I do not have an RA offer or a tuition waver at school B, but I've been told that a majority (~70%) of MS students who do a thesis get an RA by the second term. I've visited school B and talked with some of the professors and other prospective students, and they mostly seem reasonable. I have not been invited into a research group, but there are a few groups that I'd be interested in. School B is, to my limited and possibly flawed understanding, a massive, well-funded, well-regarded state school. For whatever this is worth, its EE graduate program is ranked in the top 20 by US News and World Report.

Some questions I have:

1. How can I determine where I'll get a better education or a better return on investment?

2. To what degree does "prestige" matter? Is it an accurate reflection of the quality of the program, or just a pissing contest? Maybe a little of both?

3. I'm considering going on to get a PhD, depending on if I really like research in academia. If I do decide to go on, am I expected to stay at the same school I got my MS? If I go back for a PhD, can I transition to a different area provided I demonstrate interest and competence in that area?

4. Should I try to get involved with research that might become super useful in 5+ years, like optical circuits or spintronics?

Really, any comments or help will be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm playing pin-the-tail on the donkey here. Also I'm leaning toward school A...

Thanks!

hi guys, I'm a student pursuing BE mechanical in INDIA. I'm really confused where i should apply for my MS. MechE in USA. Kindly have a look at my profile and please suggest some nice options.

1. BE scores - 75% (i know its low, but the general scoring scheme of the university is very strict. inspite of this, I'm ranking 1st in my branch in college.)

2. GRE - 325/340

3. Extra curriculars - Secretary of MESA, class representative, attended many inter college competitions, attended state level project competition, presented a paper in a national level conference. Learning indian classical music since the age of 8.(for the last 12 years). took training and attempted the IIT Entrance. An avid painter, and photographer(hobbies). Also represented the country in an intl. peace conference (in 9th grade). love reading (novels, science, etc.) Love Technology! (P.S. i have a pending patent.)

*Another thing i'd like to bring up, is that I've done my elementary schooling in NJ and Quincy, MA. (KG to Grade 5) and in MA, i was selected in ELC, which was a program for the best students in grade 5, from all the local public schools. i'had done a research project on black holes at the time. Its not very relevant but, i feel it shows that i have the experience from two totally different studying methodologies and have done pretty well in both.!

can i apply to the top schools like MIT? am i eligible and do have a chance?

Thanks alot..

Last edited:
I am not the typical long term UE that you may be thinking. I am 40 years old and have not worked much in the last 10 years at all, and even that was data entry, retail. Before that I delivered pizza for 5 years. Before that I had a few short stints in the late 90's doing stuff like Network Engineer I, warehouse work involving computers etc. So I have no real skills at all. I did try to learn a bunch of web development stuff over the last 8 years, but that did not pan out too well. The projects I did were never even looked at by HR after they found I did not meet the basic requirements. You may say I should do my own thing, but that involves learning design, sales, marketing etc; its just too much for me, plus I still have not had a "great idea" yet.
Anyway, I have started learning Physics lately and become quite obsessed. I took Physics I and II while getting my math degree some 15 years ago, and got decent grades, but was really just interested in playing music at that point; I never really comprehended even the most basic of concepts even though I could plug in the numbers and get the answer.
I will admit that I get a somewhat creepy feeling when learning quantum Physics, but I am sure I can get past this.
I would like to possibly get a PHD but I do not have any money. Is there any chance at all that I can get a "free ride" if I do good enough on the admission test? I would never consider taking loans due to the fact that I have been UE for 10 years and I feel that I have little chance of being hired because of that fact, even in academia.

edit: I can't even figure out how to indent paragraphs here. Perhaps, this is a ridiculous posting.

What is the best school for a master's degree in Electrical Engineering?

The best school for a master's degree in Electrical Engineering will depend on your individual goals and preferences. Some top schools for this field include MIT, Stanford, and UC Berkeley. It is important to research each school's program, faculty, and resources to determine which would be the best fit for you.

What are the admission requirements for a master's program in Electrical Engineering?

The admission requirements for a master's program in Electrical Engineering may vary slightly between schools, but typically include a bachelor's degree in a related field, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and GRE scores. Some schools may also require specific prerequisite coursework or a minimum GPA.

What are the job prospects for a career in Electrical Engineering?

The job prospects for a career in Electrical Engineering are generally positive, with a projected job growth of 5% from 2019 to 2029 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This field offers a wide range of career options in industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and electronics manufacturing.

Are there any specialized areas of focus within a master's program in Electrical Engineering?

Yes, there are many specialized areas of focus within a master's program in Electrical Engineering. Some common specializations include power systems, control systems, communication systems, and microelectronics. It is important to research the curriculum of each program to determine which specialization aligns with your interests and career goals.

What skills and knowledge will I gain from a master's program in Electrical Engineering?

A master's program in Electrical Engineering will provide you with a strong foundation in math, physics, and computer science, as well as specialized knowledge in your chosen area of focus. You will also develop skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and project management, which are highly valued in the field of Electrical Engineering.