Which Is Better To Be Mistrustful Or Credulous ?

• Thread starter Mithal
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of whether it is better to believe everything until proven otherwise or to not believe anything until proven otherwise. The speaker shares their personal approach of trusting their instincts and not believing everything they hear or read. They also mention the importance of considering the source of information and trusting one's close relationships more than strangers. The conversation concludes with a humorous remark about the abuse of knowledge and the choice of acting like an idiot or a fool.
Mithal
Which do you think is better whether to believe every things until proven otherwise and in this case people would take advantage of you and you would lose your part of the deal or do not believe any things until proven otherwise and in this case your relations with other people would be in difficulty especially those close to you ? .

Physics news on Phys.org
Mithal said:
Which do you think is better whether to believe every things until proven otherwise and in this case people would take advantage of you and you would lose your part of the deal or do not believe any things until proven otherwise and in this case your relations with other people would be in difficulty especially those close to you ? .

I would have different attitudes for different situations and different classes of people. I would trust my near and dear much more than some random spam that shows up in my inbox. I would trust girls about 50% more than guys, on the basis of my life experience of human males and females. There are users of both sexes, but many fewer among the women than the men.

Mithal said:
Don't I have any more alternatives?
So, I have the choice to either act like an idiot or a fool.

Hmm..difficult choice that..

arildno said:
Don't I have any more alternatives?
So, I have the choice to either act like an idiot or a fool.

Hmm..difficult choice that..
Not really, I have a rather different approach to the problem presented and one I have lived by for well over sixty years already with no regrets. When I was three, my father told me that "anyone who believes more than ten percent of what he hears or fifty percent of what he reads or ninety percent of what he sees with his own eyes is gullible". It had a big impact on me; I can still close my eyes as see him saying it. :tongue:

When I was three, I had no idea of what "percent" was or what the word "gullible" meant, but I certainly knew I didn't want to be one. My father had said it after an argument with my uncle whom he considered to be a complete idiot. I certainly knew my father had no respect for my uncle. As a matter of fact, for a long time, I thought "gullible" was a flaw one was born with. I thought I was and tried to hide it (I had no idea how I was suppose to figure out what to believe). :redface:

Before I entered the school system, I had already decided I couldn't believe anything so I just left what I did to my gut reaction and I have done so ever since. You don't have to believe anything to let your instincts make your decisions for you. If you've had a decent upbringing, your instincts are probably your best bet anyway and it sure frees up your time to think about more interesting things. :devil: Like physics and philosophy! :biggrin:

Have fun -- Dick

Knowledge is Power
and the most common abuse of that power is to use it to hide stupidity

I choose fool, at least I'll have the sympathy of you all. :P

1. Which is better: to be mistrustful or credulous?

This is a subjective question and there is no clear answer. It ultimately depends on the situation and the individual's personal beliefs. Both mistrust and credulity can have their advantages and disadvantages. Mistrust can protect one from being taken advantage of, while credulity can lead to openness and trust in others.

2. Is it better to be skeptical or gullible?

Similar to the first question, there is no definitive answer. Being skeptical can help one critically analyze information and avoid being deceived, while being gullible can make one more susceptible to manipulation. However, being too skeptical can also lead to missing out on genuine opportunities.

3. Can mistrust and credulity coexist?

In most cases, it is possible for both mistrust and credulity to coexist. An individual may be mistrustful in certain situations or with certain people, but also have a generally trusting nature. It is important to find a balance between the two and use discernment in different situations.

4. How can one develop a healthy level of mistrust and credulity?

Developing a healthy level of mistrust and credulity involves self-awareness and critical thinking. One can start by questioning information and sources, and not immediately believing everything they hear. It is also important to trust one's own intuition and be open to new perspectives.

5. What are the potential consequences of being overly mistrustful or credulous?

Being overly mistrustful can lead to isolation and difficulty forming relationships. It can also cause one to miss out on opportunities or be overly cautious in decision making. On the other hand, being overly credulous can make one vulnerable to deception and manipulation, potentially leading to negative consequences.