Which is harder to pull apart, a circle or a triangle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision between using a circular or triangular ring to secure an anchor to an anchor trolley. The main concern is the amount of force required to pull each shape apart. It is mentioned that a link from a chain may be a better option. The angles between the three connection points and the tension forces in the lines are also important factors to consider. The solution will likely involve a triangle shape with equal forces at 120° angles. The details of how the tension lines will be attached and the radius of the corners of the ring are also important considerations.
AmateurHour
In deciding which shape of ring I should use to secure an anchor to an anchor trolley I came across two choices, a circular ring or a triangular ring. While either will surely work, I began to wonder which would be more difficult to pull apart. Most of the information I found is about forces being exerted on the shapes from the outside going in like in the case of a load bearing structure. What I am wondering about is the opposite, how much force it would take to pull each shape apart.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The shape of one link from a chain would be better.

anorlunda said:
The shape of one link from a chain would be better.
The ring will be attached at three points so that is why I was wondering which shape would be stronger, a circle or a triangle.

There is more to be considered than just strength in selecting between the two shapes. Please provide more information about your application and the angles between the three connection points.

The solution will probably be a triangle.

The tension forces in the three lines will determine the shape and the position of the ring or node. You must draw up the triangle of forces. If the three forces are equal, then the triangle will be equilateral and the three force vectors will be at 120° to each other.

How will the tension lines be attached to the ring?
Will the inside corners of the ring have the same radius as the pin in the shackle used to connect the line?

1. What is the difference between a circle and a triangle?

A circle is a shape with a curved perimeter, while a triangle has three straight sides and three angles.

2. Which shape is stronger, a circle or a triangle?

Both shapes have their own strengths and weaknesses. A circle is stronger in terms of distributing force equally and resisting compression, while a triangle is stronger in resisting tension and bending.

3. Is it easier to pull apart a circle or a triangle?

It depends on the direction and type of force applied. In general, a triangle may be easier to pull apart because it has corners and angles that can act as weak points, while a circle has no corners and distributes force evenly.

4. Can you explain the concept of tensile strength in relation to these shapes?

Tensile strength is the ability of a material to resist being pulled apart. In the case of a circle, the strength is distributed evenly along the circumference, making it difficult to pull apart. However, in a triangle, the strength is concentrated at the corners, making it easier to pull apart from those points.

5. How does the size of a shape affect its strength?

The size of a shape can affect its strength in terms of material thickness and dimensions. A larger circle may have a thicker perimeter, making it stronger, but a larger triangle may have longer sides that are more susceptible to bending. It also depends on the material the shape is made of.