Force Needed to pull apart hemispheres of an evacuated sphere

In summary, the horizontal force needed to pull two weightless, thin hemispheres apart can be calculated using the formula F = π*r^2*Δp, where Δp is the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the spheres. This force is equal to the net force on one of the hemispheres along the X-axis, created by the pressure which is uniform. To calculate this net force, you can think of the hemisphere as being made up of thin horizontal slices and find the component of the total force that acts towards the flat bottom by considering the surface area of each slice and the pressure acting perpendicular to it.
horsecandy911

Homework Statement

Prove that the horizontal force needed to pull two weightless, thin hemispheres apart has magnitude

[tex] F = \pi*r^2 * \Delta p [/tex]

where [tex] \Delta p [/tex]

is the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the spheres.

Homework Equations

[tex] surface area = 4\pir^2
F = pA [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that the force needed to pull the hemispheres apart will be equal to the net force on one of the hemispheres along the X-axis created by the pressure (which is uniform).

I am not sure how to calculate the net force along the X axis on either hemisphere. If this were a ring in a plane and there were a simple force along the circumference towards the center of the ring, then I would integrate the x-components of the force elements dF along the circumference of a half ring from 0 to pi. But I am not sure what kind of integration I can do since I'm dealing with pressure and 3 dimensions. Thanks.

EDIT:
I apologize for the poor formatting, can someone tell me how to write this properly in Tex? You should be able to see my tex code by mousing over.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't really matter if the spheres have horizontal or vertical orientation for purposes of analysis.

Think of the hemisphere as being made up of very thin horizontal slices. The surface area of a 'differential slice' depends upon the axial radius (determining its circumference) and the small change in radius angle from its bottom edge to its top edge (this radius being the radius of the hemisphere from the center of its flat bottom).

Pressure will always be perpendicular to this differential bit of surface area, whose surface normal will be radial. You want to find the component of the total force that acts towards the flat bottom.

Attachments

• sphere1.jpg
    sphere1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 891

What is the force needed to pull apart hemispheres of an evacuated sphere?

The force needed to pull apart hemispheres of an evacuated sphere depends on various factors such as the size and material of the sphere, the pressure inside the sphere, and the strength of the material used for the hemispheres. However, in general, the force needed can be calculated using the formula F = PA, where F is the force, P is the pressure, and A is the surface area of the sphere.

How does the pressure inside the sphere affect the force needed to pull apart the hemispheres?

The pressure inside the sphere plays a crucial role in determining the force needed to pull apart the hemispheres. As the pressure increases, the force needed also increases due to the increase in the number of molecules inside the sphere pushing against the hemispheres.

What materials are suitable for the hemispheres of an evacuated sphere?

The material used for the hemispheres of an evacuated sphere should be strong enough to withstand the force applied while pulling the hemispheres apart. Some suitable materials include steel, aluminum, and titanium. These materials have high tensile strength and can withstand high pressures.

What is the significance of an evacuated sphere in this experiment?

An evacuated sphere is used in this experiment to eliminate the presence of air molecules inside the sphere. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the force needed to pull apart the hemispheres, as the force due to air pressure is eliminated.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the force needed to pull apart hemispheres of an evacuated sphere?

Understanding the force needed to pull apart hemispheres of an evacuated sphere has various real-world applications. For example, it can be used in the design and construction of pressure vessels, such as diving tanks and gas cylinders. It can also be applied in the aerospace industry to determine the strength and durability of spacecraft and aircraft components.