Which is the dependent and which is the independent?

In summary, during a lab experiment, it is important to understand the difference between the dependent and independent variables and which one goes on the y or x axis. The independent variable is the one that is controlled and manipulated by the experimenter, while the dependent variable is the one that is measured or affected by the changes in the independent variable. In this case, the independent variable is the net force, while the dependent variable is the acceleration. The formula F=ma can be rearranged to show that acceleration is dependent on net force.
sph
I am conducting a lab in my class and was wondering, which is the dependant and independent variable and also which one goes on the y or x axis. It is a net force vs acceleration. I am thinking that net force is the independent variable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it, which one depends on the other. The equation is F=ma, so which one depends on the other variable in your experiment?

Last edited:
so force depends on acceleration!

Independent variables are the "inputs" to the experiment, the ones that you have control of. You set up an experiment and vary the independent variables to see what happens.

The dependent variables are the measured effects or results of the settings of the independent variables.

I am confused, I had control of the force. But when I look at the formula F=ma I think that acceleration is the independent variable.

sph said:
I am confused, I had control of the force. But when I look at the formula F=ma I think that acceleration is the independent variable.

Formulas can be rearranged; it's only math :smile:

a = F/m is the same relationship.

What matters is what variables you had a "handle on" when you did the experiment (the independent variables), and what values were measured (what depends upon the things you tinkered with).

Likes 1 person

1. Which variable is considered the dependent variable?

The dependent variable is the variable that is affected or influenced by the independent variable. It is also known as the response variable or outcome variable.

2. How can I determine which variable is the independent variable?

The independent variable is the variable that is manipulated or controlled by the researcher. It is also known as the predictor variable or input variable.

3. Can the dependent and independent variables be switched?

No, the dependent and independent variables cannot be switched. The dependent variable is always influenced by the independent variable, and switching them would change the entire experimental design.

4. Is there a specific order to list the dependent and independent variables?

There is no specific order to list the dependent and independent variables. However, it is common practice to list the independent variable first, followed by the dependent variable.

5. Can there be more than one dependent or independent variable in an experiment?

Yes, there can be multiple dependent and independent variables in an experiment. This allows researchers to study the relationships between multiple variables and their effects on each other.