1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which is the dependent and which is the independent?

1. Nov 11, 2013 #1

sph

I am conducting a lab in my class and was wondering, which is the dependant and independent variable and also which one goes on the y or x axis. It is a net force vs acceleration. I am thinking that net force is the independent variable.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2013 #2
    Think about it, which one depends on the other. The equation is F=ma, so which one depends on the other variable in your experiment?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  4. Nov 11, 2013 #3

sph

so force depends on acceleration!

5. Nov 11, 2013 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Independent variables are the "inputs" to the experiment, the ones that you have control of. You set up an experiment and vary the independent variables to see what happens.

The dependent variables are the measured effects or results of the settings of the independent variables.

6. Nov 11, 2013 #5

sph

I am confused, I had control of the force. But when I look at the formula F=ma I think that acceleration is the independent variable.

7. Nov 11, 2013 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Formulas can be rearranged; it's only math :smile:

a = F/m is the same relationship.

What matters is what variables you had a "handle on" when you did the experiment (the independent variables), and what values were measured (what depends upon the things you tinkered with).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted