Which Math subjects should I self study for Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in physics and their self-teaching of Newtonian concepts and math, leading to a newfound enjoyment of the subject. They ask for advice on how much math is necessary for understanding college-level physics, and it is suggested that Calculus I is the minimum requirement, but taking Calculus III and Linear Algebra could be helpful. The speaker also mentions the recommended course sequence for physics and math at UCF. It is concluded that studying Calculus I-III and Differential Equations is necessary for understanding college-level physics and that any solicitation via PM should be reported to a mentor.
jeremmed77
For the last few months I have been fascinated with Physics. I taught myself the basic, non-calculus based ,Newtonian concepts. In Math class, I would always study my notes instead of physically solve the math. That is why I never really enjoyed it before.

Now that I actually doing the problems on my own, I am starting to enjoy it alot. I am amazed how Mathematics can describe the physical world we live in with such elegance. I am a senior in high school and have taught myself Trigonometry and am currently learning Calculus (I do not have a lot of work to do outside of high school so I can devote that time to studying).

However, how much math should I learn before I will be able to understand college level Physics? Specifically, would Calculus suffice or should I learn Differential Equations(Calculus III) and Linear Algebra as well? Any other tips and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Calc III is different from differential equations.

Calculus I is probably the minimum to understand the intro courses for physics. Calculus II wouldn't hurt. Calculus III and you'd be gold for the first basic classes in college physics (calc based). Calc I is all that is necessary in my opinion. Calc III has vectors that you will need in some stuff of the intro courses, but it is usually simple and taught at the time, so calc III isn't necessary, but helpful.

I recommend that by the time you finish your second intro class of physics (and are about to move on to upper level courses), you should be finished with Calc III as well. If you want to really be on top of things finish linear algebra and differential equations by the time you finish your two intro courses for physics (that would probably be tough to do, but it could make things much easier). At a bare minimum, take diffyQ at the same time as your upper level courses, but have calc III done by that time.

UCF Set up classes this way:

Calc I

Then PHY I and CALC II together

Then PHY II and CALC III

Then PHY III

Linear algebra is not a required class, but could fulfill a directed elective.

Differentials is also required for other classes.

So in short, calc I-III + differentials you should study. I don't believe you can get past this before you get in college :)

Anyone receiving a solicitation via PM needs to report it to a mentor.

I would highly recommend that you continue to self-study calculus, as it is an essential tool for understanding physics at the college level. In addition to calculus, I would also suggest learning differential equations and linear algebra, as they are commonly used in advanced physics courses. However, it is important to note that the level of math required for physics can vary depending on the specific course or topic you are studying. For example, some courses may require knowledge of vector calculus or complex analysis. My advice would be to consult with your physics teacher or a college advisor to determine the specific math subjects that would be most beneficial for the physics courses you plan to take. Additionally, I would also recommend practicing problem-solving and application of math concepts in physics contexts, as this will help you develop a deeper understanding of how math is used in physics. Overall, my advice would be to continue to challenge yourself and keep learning, as a strong foundation in math will greatly benefit your understanding and success in physics.

1. What math subjects are essential for understanding physics?

The most essential math subjects for understanding physics are calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. These provide the foundation for understanding concepts such as derivatives, integrals, vectors, and differential equations which are used extensively in physics.

2. Can I self-study math subjects for physics?

Yes, self-studying math subjects for physics is possible, but it requires dedication and discipline. It is important to have a good understanding of basic algebra and geometry before attempting to self-study more advanced math subjects.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to study physics?

Having a strong math background can certainly be helpful when studying physics, but it is not necessary. With determination and hard work, anyone can learn the necessary math for physics. It may just take a bit longer for those with a weaker math background.

4. Which math subjects are most commonly used in physics courses?

The math subjects most commonly used in physics courses are calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Other important topics include trigonometry, geometry, and probability and statistics.

5. How can I improve my math skills for physics?

To improve your math skills for physics, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also try using online resources, such as tutorials and practice problems, to supplement your learning. Additionally, studying with a group or finding a tutor can also be beneficial.