Which numerical procedure to use

In summary, you can use Matlab's symbolic differential equation solver to find a solution to a system of linear differential equations.
aaaa202
I have a system of linear differential equations with known boundary conditions. First of all what is the general solution to such a system? I know it is exponentials with the eigenvalues, but I couldn't find any place where the exact full solution was stated.
Second of all, I want to write a program in MATLAB that solves this set of linear differential equations. In general how am I better off:
- Simulate the solutions numerically starting from scratch i.e. dy1 dy2, dt and everything are numerical quantities
- Find eigenvalues to the coefficient matrix numerically, plug into the analytical solution (which is the one I am not completely sure off, but I think you can write up a general formula) and solve for the unknown constants by applying boundary conditions.

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
I have a system of linear differential equations with known boundary conditions. First of all what is the general solution to such a system? I know it is exponentials with the eigenvalues, but I couldn't find any place where the exact full solution was stated.
That's because the description is too general for there to be a systematic way of finding the solution.
i.e. the system may not have a solution.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/SolutionsToSystems.aspx
... this sort of thing is the closest you'll get to a general approach to a solution.

To do this in matlab, you'd construct the matrix A (see link) and then use Matlab's matrix tools to analyse it. i.e. eigs() will find the eigenvalues and vectors.

But as far as I can see from the link you provided isn't the most general solution simply:

x(vector) = c1 * eigenvector_1 * exp(eigenvalue_1 * t) + c2 * eigenvector_2 * exp(eigenvalue_2 * t) + ...

So it is all about fitting that solution to the boundary conditions? Or am I wrong?

That's right.
It's a bit like solving systems of linear equations... i.e. there may not be a unique solution, and so on.

Looks like MATLAB has a symbolic differential equation solver that also does systems of equations.
http://www.mathworks.com/help/symbolic/dsolve.html

1. What is the difference between parametric and non-parametric numerical procedures?

Parametric procedures assume that the data follows a specific distribution and make use of numerical parameters to make inferences, while non-parametric procedures make no assumptions about the underlying distribution and use rank-based methods instead.

2. How do I choose between using a t-test or ANOVA?

A t-test is used to compare the means of two groups, while ANOVA is used to compare the means of three or more groups. Therefore, the number of groups you have in your data will determine which test to use.

3. When should I use a regression analysis?

Regression analysis is used to model the relationship between two or more variables and to make predictions. It is commonly used to identify trends and patterns in data and to make forecasts.

4. What is the purpose of a p-value in statistical analysis?

The p-value represents the probability of obtaining a result at least as extreme as the one observed, assuming the null hypothesis is true. It is used as a measure of the strength of evidence against the null hypothesis.

5. How do I determine the sample size for my study?

The sample size for a study depends on several factors, including the desired level of confidence, the effect size, and the variability in the data. Consulting with a statistician or using a sample size calculator can help determine an appropriate sample size for your study.