1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which of the following must be true about the area A of the triangle?

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the base b of a triangle is increasing at a rate of 3 inches per minute while its height h is decreasing at a rate of 3 inches per minute, which of the following must be true about the area A of the triangle?

a. A is always increasing
    b. A is always decreasing
    c. A is decreasing only when b < h
    d. A is decreasing only when b > h
    e. A remains constant

Correct answer is d. A is decreasing only when b > h

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't understand why the answer is d. If the area of a triangle is (1/2)(base)(height) and the base increases by 3 while the height decreases by 3, wouldn't they just cancel out each other?

Moreover, I don't understand why the area would only be decreasing when the base is bigger than the height and not vice versa. But I guess I won't understand this part until I understand why the area can't be constant.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You need to find the dA/dt. Since A is a function of both h and b, and both can be assumed to be functions of t, dA/dt will involve the partial derivatives with respect to h and the partial derivative with respect to b.

4. May 2, 2010 #3
    To see why the area wouldn't be constant, take a triangle with height a and base b. Then its area would be ab/2, right? Now suppose that a minute passes. So now it has base b+3 and height a-3.

Find the area of the new triangle and figure out when it's larger or smaller than the other one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook