Which one has the greater deceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between the acceleration of a bicycle and a car, with the question of which has the greater deceleration. The units of acceleration are meters per second squared. However, there is insufficient information to make a definite answer and further measurements are needed. The conversation also clarifies that the original question was asked on behalf of someone else.
ynehs
I'm just wandering. Because I have a debate with my classmate.
Which one has the greater deceleration a bicycle with an acceleration of 0.5 meters per second or a car with 0.83 meters per second.
I think the answer is the bicycle. :)
Please give me your opinion or nearly the real answer. Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org

Why do you think it is the bicycle?
And what are the units of acceleration?

Base on the findings, the bicycle has the smaller acceleration than the car has. And the question is which has the greater deceleration.
The units are meters per second.

I already stated this in my post above. :3

Last edited:

ynehs said:
Base on the findings, the bicycle has the smaller acceleration than the car has. And the question is which has the greater deceleration.
The units are meters per second.

Meters per second is the unit of velocity, not acceleration. You'll have to state the problem more precisely before we can answer.

Aw. I'm very sorry. It's meters per second square rather. :D

Insufficient information to even make a guess. Do some measurements and figure it out.

Sorry for such irrelevant question, it's just my younger bro want to know which is right, he or his classmate. anyways thank you all for your time. (-_-) I just let him use my account here.

Last edited:

What is deceleration?

Deceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity decreases over time. It is the opposite of acceleration, which describes the rate at which an object's velocity increases.

How is deceleration calculated?

To calculate deceleration, you need to know the initial velocity (u), the final velocity (v), and the time (t) it takes for the change in velocity to occur. The formula for deceleration is (v-u)/t.

Which one has the greater deceleration: a car slowing down from 60 mph to 40 mph in 5 seconds, or a car slowing down from 60 mph to 50 mph in 5 seconds?

The car slowing down from 60 mph to 40 mph has the greater deceleration. This is because it experienced a larger change in velocity (20 mph) compared to the car slowing down from 60 mph to 50 mph (10 mph) in the same amount of time.

Can deceleration be negative?

Yes, deceleration can be negative. This occurs when an object's velocity decreases in the opposite direction as its initial motion. For example, if a car is moving east at a speed of 50 mph and then begins to slow down and move west at a speed of 30 mph, the deceleration would be -20 mph.

How does mass affect deceleration?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its deceleration. However, objects with a larger mass will require more force to decelerate compared to objects with a smaller mass. This means that objects with a larger mass may experience a slower rate of deceleration compared to objects with a smaller mass when the same amount of force is applied.