Which order do you take derivative of delta function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of the order in which derivatives are taken in an integral equation involving the Dirac delta function. The calculation presented shows how the order of integration can be switched using integration by parts, resulting in the same end result.
geoduck
If you have I=∫∫dxdy [∇xy δ(x-y)] f(x)g(y)

where ∇x is the derivative with respect to x (and similarly for y), then doesn't it matter which order you take the derivatives? For example:

I=∫∫dxdy f(x) ∇x [∇y δ(x-y)] g(y)
=∫dx f(x) ∇x[-g'(x)]=∫dx f(x) [-g''(x)]

whereas if you take the other order:

I=∫∫dxdy ∇y [∇x δ(x-y)] f(x)g(y)
=∫∫dxdy g(y)∇y [∇x δ(x-y)] f(x)
=∫dx g(x) [-f''(x)]

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow your calculation. Assuming notation isn't misleading, and writing things mathematics-style rather than physics-style, the calculation would go

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\int_{\mathbb{R}} \int_{\mathbb{R}} (\nabla_x \nabla_y \delta(x-y)) f(x) g(y) \, dx \, dy
&= - \int_{\mathbb{R}} \int_{\mathbb{R}} (\nabla_y \delta(x-y)) \nabla_x(f(x) g(y)) \, dx \, dy
\\& = - \int_{\mathbb{R}} \int_{\mathbb{R}} (\nabla_y \delta(x-y)) \nabla_x(f(x) g(y)) \, dy \, dx
\\& = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \int_{\mathbb{R}} \delta(x-y) \nabla_y \nabla_x(f(x) g(y)) \, dy \, dx
\\& = \cdots
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Of course, I think the end result is the same -- just continue using integration by parts to switch between the result you get from this and the two results you got.

EDIT: I see how your calculation works now: if the inner integral is in terms of y, you are factoring the [itex]\nabla_x[/itex] outside of the inner integral.

1. What is a delta function and why is it important in calculus?

A delta function, also known as a Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is used to model a point mass or impulse in physics and engineering. It is important in calculus because it allows us to describe and analyze systems that involve point masses, such as point charges in electrical fields or point loads in structural analysis.

2. What is the order of a derivative of a delta function?

The order of a derivative of a delta function is always zero. This is because the delta function is not a traditional function with a well-defined slope or rate of change at any point. Its derivative can be thought of as a generalized function that is zero everywhere except at the point where it is defined, where it is infinite.

3. Can you take multiple derivatives of a delta function?

Yes, you can take multiple derivatives of a delta function. However, the result will always be zero, regardless of the number of derivatives taken. This is because the delta function is a distribution, not a traditional function, and does not have a well-defined slope or rate of change at any point.

4. How do you take the derivative of a delta function?

To take the derivative of a delta function, you can use the properties of the delta function, specifically the sifting property. This property states that the integral of the product of the delta function with any other function is equal to the value of the function at the point where the delta function is defined. Therefore, the derivative of a delta function can be defined as the function that has a value of zero everywhere except at the point where the delta function is defined, where it is infinite.

5. Is the derivative of a delta function always a delta function?

No, the derivative of a delta function is not always a delta function. In fact, the derivative of a delta function can be any function that satisfies the sifting property. For example, the derivative of a delta function could be a step function or a ramp function, depending on the specific function that is multiplied with the delta function in the integral.