Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which order do you take derivative of delta function?

1. Jul 21, 2012 #1
    If you have I=∫∫dxdy [∇xy δ(x-y)] f(x)g(y)

where ∇x is the derivative with respect to x (and similarly for y), then doesn't it matter which order you take the derivatives? For example:

I=∫∫dxdy f(x) ∇x [∇y δ(x-y)] g(y)
    =∫dx f(x) ∇x[-g'(x)]=∫dx f(x) [-g''(x)]

whereas if you take the other order:

I=∫∫dxdy ∇y [∇x δ(x-y)] f(x)g(y)
    =∫∫dxdy g(y)∇y [∇x δ(x-y)] f(x)
    =∫dx g(x) [-f''(x)]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2012 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't follow your calculation. Assuming notation isn't misleading, and writing things mathematics-style rather than physics-style, the calculation would go

[tex]
    \begin{align*}
    \int_{\mathbb{R}} \int_{\mathbb{R}} (\nabla_x \nabla_y \delta(x-y)) f(x) g(y) \, dx \, dy
    &= - \int_{\mathbb{R}} \int_{\mathbb{R}} (\nabla_y \delta(x-y)) \nabla_x(f(x) g(y)) \, dx \, dy
    \\& = - \int_{\mathbb{R}} \int_{\mathbb{R}} (\nabla_y \delta(x-y)) \nabla_x(f(x) g(y)) \, dy \, dx
    \\& = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \int_{\mathbb{R}} \delta(x-y) \nabla_y \nabla_x(f(x) g(y)) \, dy \, dx
    \\& = \cdots
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

Of course, I think the end result is the same -- just continue using integration by parts to switch between the result you get from this and the two results you got.

EDIT: I see how your calculation works now: if the inner integral is in terms of y, you are factoring the [itex]\nabla_x[/itex] outside of the inner integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook