Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which OS consume least memory and HD space

1. Mar 22, 2015 #1
    I am curious as to which OS and its siblings (e.g Linux={Fedora, Mint,....}) consume the least memory and HD space but sure are still perfectly functional after installed.
    Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2015 #2
  4. Mar 22, 2015 #3

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Completely functional does not have to mean every extra possible add on command and driver - ARCH ARM Linux is meant for tiny hardware configurations, like your refrigerator "brain" or the ignition system in your car. Extreme examples run a functioning kernel with just a few device drivers that occupies less than ~50MB, with addressable memory (space to run code) at about 30-50% of that value. Check out a Raspberry Pi 2 with really expanded memory -- 1.0 GB. - They are about $US40 I think.

So you may want to reconsider what makes a good 'completely functional' definition. Just like full blown Debian or Solaris? OR something else. Programming the fridge, maybe.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

5. Mar 22, 2015 #4

nsaspook

Science Advisor

I'm converting some SPI kernel device drivers (daq_gert driver for the comedi library) written for the original RPi on a RPi 2. The difference in compile speed of the 1GB models is amazing with 4 cores. If you need a full blown embedded system with Raspbian that can be stripped down to run on something even smaller it's a great choice.

6. Mar 23, 2015 #5
    I'd say go with Linux Ubunto. Not only is it good and many people use it, but it's free and really user friendly. :)

7. Mar 23, 2015 #6
    Technically MS-DOS would fit your criteria, but I think you'll have trouble with compatibility with the programs you want to run. :-p

8. Mar 23, 2015 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

Lubuntu (the lightweight version of Ubuntu), Bodhi Linux, Peppermint Linux come to mind. They all consume less than 200 Mb of RAM on boot up, have several programs pre-installed (is that what you mean by being functional?) and if you need other programs, it's very easy to install them.

9. Mar 23, 2015 #8

Svein

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook