Which pair of elements is most apt to form an ionic compound

• Thread starter p4cifico
  • Start date
which pair of elements is most apt to form an ionic compound with each other? nitrogen and hydrogen or barium and bromine?

please explain

one way to look at it involves electronegativity. For a bond to be ionic, difference in electronegativity should be greater than 1.7

electronegativity of N is 3.0, and that of hydrogen is 2.2
the difference is less than 1.7

electronegativity of barium is 0.89 and that of bromine is 2.96
the difference is more than 1.7, hence ionic.

more logically, the bond will depend on polarisation. This occurs when a high charge density cation distorts the electron cloud of a large anion. When polarisation occurs, there is sharing of electrons instead of transfer of electrons, hence a covalent bond.

While only looking at electronegativity, other trends come into play as well.
Bromine is atomic number 35, and Barium is 4.
Hydrogen is 1, and Nitrogen is 7. The valence shells around the hydrogen and nitrogen are a lot lesser. Hydrogen bonding is a very strong force. Despite the electronegativities, I believe that the Hydrogen and Nitrogen will be more apt to for an ionic compound.
(Don't count on me though, I'm only 16 and recently started AP Chem.

hydrogen bonding is an INTERMOLECULAR FORCE (even if we call it H-bond), it occurs between molecules, such as water or ammonia. it is in no way an actual bond.

actually electronegativity sums the atomic size. The fatter the atom, the smaller is the electronegativity and vice versa.

very good answers thank you everyone

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving