Which pulse does more work on the spring?

Thank you.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between work and force in a situation involving two separate wave pulses. One pulse has an amplitude of A while the other has an amplitude of 2A. The conclusion is that the pulse with the amplitude of 2A does more work on the string. This is because the pulse is moving perpendicular to the spring, meaning it is applying force perpendicular to the spring which results in 0 work. This is supported by the equation W = Fd, where the force is applied perpendicular to the direction of motion. However, it is unclear how this relates to the wave as there is no mention of a spring in the problem statement. A diagram or more information is needed for further explanation.
starnair03
Homework Statement
Two separate wave pulses are created at different times during the data collection. one pulse has an amplitude of A while the other has an amplitude of 2A. Which of the pulse does more work on the string? explain using relevant formulas.
Relevant Equations
W = Fd
I thought work is 0 because force is applying perpendicular to the spring's moving direction. these pulses are transverse pulse since those have amplitude, and pulse is moving horizontal, which means applying force horizontally, but spring is moving vertical. So my conclusion is "because pulse is moving perpendicular to the spring moving, means pulse is applying force perpendicular to the spring, which is 0 work".

Is my conclusion correct? I have no one to check my answer because school season is ended..

Physics news on Phys.org
starnair03 said:
Problem Statement: Two separate wave pulses are created at different times during the data collection. one pulse has an amplitude of A while the other has an amplitude of 2A. Which of the pulse does more work on the string? explain using relevant formulas.
Relevant Equations: W = Fd

perpendicular to the spring
What spring? There is none mentioned in the problem statement. There is mention of string, but if that should be spring then it is unclear how this relates to the wave.
Please provide the entire statement, including any diagram.

Last edited:

1. What is meant by "pulse" in this context?

In this context, "pulse" refers to a sudden burst or surge in force applied to the spring.

2. How is the amount of work done by a pulse measured?

The amount of work done by a pulse is measured by multiplying the force of the pulse by the distance over which it is applied.

3. Is the amount of work done by a pulse on a spring the same as the amount of energy stored in the spring?

No, the amount of work done by a pulse on a spring is not necessarily the same as the amount of energy stored in the spring. The work done by a pulse is the force multiplied by the distance, while the energy stored in a spring is determined by its spring constant and how much it has been stretched or compressed.

4. What factors affect the amount of work done by a pulse on a spring?

The amount of work done by a pulse on a spring depends on the force of the pulse, the distance over which it is applied, and the properties of the spring such as its spring constant and any previous stretching or compression.

5. How can I determine which pulse will do more work on a spring?

The pulse that will do more work on a spring is the one with a greater force and is applied over a larger distance. However, the properties of the spring also play a role, so it is important to consider those as well.