Which Thermodynamics class to take?

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for a physics major to take a thermodynamics class in either the chemistry department or the engineering one. The chemistry class is also taken by chem and chembio majors, while the engineering one is taken by various engineering majors. The difference between thermodynamics applied to chemistry or engineering is also mentioned. The speaker suggests that the student should choose the class that is closer to their specific interests, and advises them to consult their advisor for guidance. They also mention that if either class includes an introduction to statistical mechanics, that would be a good choice. Overall, the chemistry class may be closer to a physicist's perspective on thermodynamics.
Christine90NY
I'm a physics major and I have the option next semester to take thermodynamics in either the chemistry department or the engineering one.
The chem thermo class is taken also by chem and chembio majors and the engineering one is taken by civil, naval, environmental, electrical, and computer engineering majors. Which would be more beneficial for me and what's the difference between thermo applied to chem or applied to engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm taking a thermodynamics class right now, and even though its coded for the physics department, its actually a engineering class. They just call it phys 2H04 for the purpose of physics students, but its actually engphys 2H04. Our class i made up of engineering physics students, physics student, and mechatronics engineering students.

I think chemists and physicists are interested in differnt areas of thermodynamics. So far we have covered, statistical mechanics, internal energy and the 1st law, the 2nd law form the density of states and entropy views.

Probably want the one that's closer to that. I've actually taken a very basic chem thermo class last year that's actually for biochemists, the chem one is quite different, but what we are learning in the one I'm taking now is very differnt from the one I done last year.

Therefore you probably want the engineers one.

This is probably a question best answered by your advisor, since I'm guessing this is a problem every physics student at your school runs into.

If either of them does an introduction to statistical mechanics, take that one. If not, I'd say that the chemistry one will probably be closer to a physicists take on thermo.

will.c said:
If either of them does an introduction to statistical mechanics, take that one. If not, I'd say that the chemistry one will probably be closer to a physicists take on thermo.

I second this.

1. What are the prerequisites for taking a thermodynamics class?

The prerequisites for taking a thermodynamics class may vary depending on the specific course and institution. However, most thermodynamics classes require a strong foundation in calculus, physics, and chemistry. Some courses may also require students to have completed introductory courses in engineering or thermodynamics.

2. What is the difference between a general thermodynamics class and an applied thermodynamics class?

A general thermodynamics class focuses on the fundamental theories and principles of thermodynamics, while an applied thermodynamics class applies these theories to real-world scenarios and problems. Applied thermodynamics classes may also cover specific industries or applications, such as energy systems or chemical processes.

3. What are the common topics covered in a thermodynamics class?

Some common topics covered in a thermodynamics class include the laws of thermodynamics, heat and work, thermodynamic processes, thermodynamic properties, and thermodynamic cycles. Other topics may include phase diagrams, thermodynamic equilibrium, and thermodynamic relationships.

4. Is a thermodynamics class difficult?

The difficulty of a thermodynamics class may vary depending on the individual's background knowledge and the rigor of the course. However, thermodynamics is a complex and math-intensive subject, so students should be prepared to put in a significant amount of time and effort to understand the concepts and solve problems.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone who has taken a thermodynamics class?

A thermodynamics class can lead to a variety of career opportunities in industries such as energy, manufacturing, aerospace, and chemical engineering. Some specific job titles may include thermodynamics engineer, energy analyst, process engineer, or research scientist. Additionally, a strong understanding of thermodynamics can be useful in many other fields, such as materials science or environmental science.