1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which Thermodynamics class to take?

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1
    I'm a physics major and I have the option next semester to take thermodynamics in either the chemistry department or the engineering one.
    The chem thermo class is taken also by chem and chembio majors and the engineering one is taken by civil, naval, environmental, electrical, and computer engineering majors. Which would be more beneficial for me and what's the difference between thermo applied to chem or applied to engineering?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2
    I'm taking a thermodynamics class right now, and even though its coded for the physics department, its actually a engineering class. They just call it phys 2H04 for the purpose of physics students, but its actually engphys 2H04. Our class i made up of engineering physics students, physics student, and mechatronics engineering students.

I think chemists and physicists are interested in differnt areas of thermodynamics. So far we have covered, statistical mechanics, internal energy and the 1st law, the 2nd law form the density of states and entropy views.

Probably want the one thats closer to that. I've actually taken a very basic chem thermo class last year thats actually for biochemists, the chem one is quite different, but what we are learning in the one I'm taking now is very differnt from the one I done last year.

Therefore you probably want the engineers one.

4. Feb 23, 2009 #3
    This is probably a question best answered by your advisor, since I'm guessing this is a problem every physics student at your school runs into.

5. Feb 23, 2009 #4
    If either of them does an introduction to statistical mechanics, take that one. If not, I'd say that the chemistry one will probably be closer to a physicists take on thermo.

6. Feb 24, 2009 #5
    I second this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook