Which topics from precalc are essential for calc 3?

In summary, topics from precalculus that are essential for Calculus 3 include linear functions, quadratic functions, polynomial functions, rational functions, radical functions, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, logarithmic functions, function inverses, sequences, series, and all other topics typically covered in a precalculus course. In addition, basic linear algebra and trigonometry will also be used in the three-dimensional parts of Calculus 3. It is recommended to review all precalculus topics before starting Calculus 3.
annoyinggirl
i took calc 2, and am going to take calc 3. My precalc teacher skipped on a lot of topics since the class was falling behind and he assumed most weren't going to take calc 3 anyways.

So which topics from precalc are essential for calc3?

NOTE: i am on the semester system, which means there are three semesters of calc (not quarter system, which has 4 quarters of calc), so i am asking about the final third of calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could do a comparison yourself by looking at the video collection of mathispower4u.com

Vs Algebra 2

And trigonometry

Off the bat, I would say the trigonometry part would play a big part in Calculus 3 where you might have to use cylindrical or spherical coordinate systems or in the vector calculus part. However, you should go through the video lists and refresh yourself on topics you've covered and on others that look like they might be needed in Calc 3.

annoyinggirl said:
IMO, this is kind of an odd question, something like asking "Which letters of the alphabet are important in writing a novel?" Although it would be possible to write a novel without some letters, such as, say, j or x, you would have to put in a lot of extra work to find synonyms for words that use these letters.

Going from memory from when I taught precalc classes, the main topics included linear functions, quadratic functions, polynomial functions, rational functions, radical functions, trig functions, exponential functions, log functions, function inverses, plus a few more topics that don't immediately come to mind.

Presumably in your calc 3 course you're learning about sequences and series, as well as functions of two or more variables, iterated integrals, partial derivatives, and other topics. I can't think of any of the precalc topics that aren't uses somewhere in this course. If you still have your precalc textbook, I would advise spending some time reviewing those topics. If you don't have your precalc textbook, I'm sure you could get one from Amazon or other book seller. Alternatively, Khan Academy has videos on specific topics, and there are the ones that jedishrfu listed.

How about all of precalculus is essential for calculus 3? That general answer should match the quality of your question.

If you list your exact syllabus or module description for calc 3 it would help more

Likes pasmith
You need everything from pre-cal. Depending on the rigor of your course, you could probably do without sequences and series. Cal 3 is not like Cal 1 and Cal 2 in the respect that cal 1 was only differential calculus and cal 2 was only integral calculus (possibly series). Cal 3 is all of the above in a 3+ dimensional setting. You will use everything from your previous calculus courses as well as your pre-cal.

annoyinggirl said:
i took calc 2, and am going to take calc 3. My precalc teacher skipped on a lot of topics since the class was falling behind and he assumed most weren't going to take calc 3 anyways.

NOTE: i am on the semester system, which means there are three semesters of calc (not quarter system, which has 4 quarters of calc), so i am asking about the final third of calculus.
Some pre-calculus courses include basic Linear Algebra and that will be used is vector 3D parts of your Calculus 3 course (Multivariable). Basic trigonometry will also be used.

Bipolar Demon said:
If you list your exact syllabus or module description for calc 3 it would help more
"Three-dimensional analytic geometry, partial differentiation, multiple integrals, vector calculus."

1. What is the most important concept from precalc for calc 3?

The most important concept from precalc for calc 3 is trigonometry. Understanding basic trigonometric functions, identities, and properties is crucial for success in calc 3.

2. Do we need to have a strong understanding of limits and continuity in precalc for calc 3?

While limits and continuity are important concepts in precalc, they are not heavily relied upon in calc 3. However, having a basic understanding of these concepts will make it easier to grasp more complex ideas in calc 3.

3. Is knowledge of vectors and matrices necessary for calc 3?

Yes, a strong understanding of vectors and matrices is essential for calc 3. These concepts are used extensively in topics such as vector calculus and multivariable calculus.

4. Are there any algebraic skills from precalc that are important for calc 3?

Yes, having a solid foundation in algebra is important for calc 3. This includes skills such as factoring, solving equations, and working with exponents.

5. Do we need to be proficient in graphing in precalc for calc 3?

While graphing skills are not as heavily used in calc 3 as they are in precalc, having a basic understanding of graphing can be helpful in visualizing and understanding complex functions and surfaces in calc 3.