Which type of device is best for a regenerative braking system on a go cart?

  • Thread starter Thread starter siua
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electric
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
siua
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello, I am trying to design a regenerative/power system for a go cart. I know I can use a generator as a motor and vise verse, but I don't know exactly what parts to look for that will produce the best results.

I would like to use this Motor/Generator as a regenerative braking system to apply a force to slow down the cart and charge the batteries, then use the same power to start it up again to assist the motor, minus losses.

I need about 1-3 kW's.

What kind of device would be best for this application, a basic electric motor? dedicated generator like those designed for small scale wind energy? Or a specific one that is designed for both capabilities?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
golf cart motor ?

search on that term will take you to several manufacturers

or try your local salvage yard...
 
I read a previous thread here that was saying that the electric motors don't work well as generators. Could a golf cart motor handle to torque load to slow it down and produce the needed charge?