Which undergrad courses are essential to graduate study success?

In summary, the individual is an undergrad planning to transfer to UW-Madison for nuclear engineering and a potential secondary major in physics. The physics major is seen as a safety option and the individual is considering graduate school in the future. UW-Madison has lenient requirements for their physics degree, only requiring General Physics I and II, Modern Physics, an advanced lab, and 9 other upperclassman courses. However, the individual is questioning if these bare-minimum requirements are enough for graduate studies and the physics GRE subject test. They are also seeking advice on additional courses that may be important for preparing for graduate studies.
anonymity
Hello,

I am an undergrad planning on transferring to UW-Madison for nuclear engineering and will also likely pick up a secondary major in physics.

The physics major is more of a safety, because I don't know what I am really interested in at this point... Having both leaves options open.

Being that I am doing this to "keep options open", the idea of graduate school is obviously looming in my head.

The reason for this post is that UW-Madison has VERY lenient requirements to fulfill for their physics degree.

All they require is that you take General Physics I and II (Mechanics, and E&M), Modern Physics, take an advanced lab (which is covered by a Nuclear Engineering lab I will have to take), and 9 other credits in upperclassman (300+) courses.

9 credits is essentially 3 classes.

Having a second major seems pointless to me if it does not qualify you for graduate studies or prepare you fully for the physics GRE subject test.

Will these bare-minimums do this?
If so, which courses are needed?
If not...which courses are needed?

Thanks,
Anonymous

Physics news on Phys.org
Upper-level E&M, Statistical Mechanics, Classical Mechanics, and Quantum Mechanics would be the obvious courses I'd consider "necessary" for graduate studies...

would you say that those would adequately prepare someone for the GRE, though?

What, in addition to that, would you say could be important?

1. What are the most important courses to take as an undergraduate student for success in graduate studies?

The most important undergraduate courses for graduate study success will vary depending on your field of study and specific program. However, some commonly recommended courses include statistics, research methods, writing and communication, and introductory courses in your chosen field.

2. Are there any specific courses that are universally beneficial for graduate studies?

While there is no one-size-fits-all answer, courses in critical thinking, problem-solving, and time management can be beneficial for any graduate student. These skills are essential for success in any field of study.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific major or minor for graduate study success?

Having a specific major or minor is not a requirement for success in graduate studies. Many graduate programs value a diverse educational background and look for transferable skills rather than a specific major. However, if you have a specific field of interest, it may be beneficial to have some coursework or experience in that area.

4. Are there any courses that should be avoided for graduate study success?

There are no specific courses that should be avoided for graduate study success. However, it is essential to choose courses that align with your interests and goals and that will help you develop transferable skills. Additionally, courses with a heavy workload or that may negatively impact your GPA should be carefully considered.

5. Can I make up for not taking essential courses as an undergraduate student?

Yes, it is possible to make up for not taking essential courses as an undergraduate student. Many graduate programs offer prerequisite courses or workshops to help students catch up on important skills. Additionally, you can also work on developing these skills through self-study or seeking out opportunities for hands-on experience in your chosen field.