Which undergrad courses are essential to graduate study success?

• Courses
  • Thread starter anonymity
  • Start date
anonymity
Hello,

I am an undergrad planning on transferring to UW-Madison for nuclear engineering and will also likely pick up a secondary major in physics.

The physics major is more of a safety, because I don't know what I am really interested in at this point... Having both leaves options open.

Being that I am doing this to "keep options open", the idea of graduate school is obviously looming in my head.

The reason for this post is that UW-Madison has VERY lenient requirements to fulfill for their physics degree.

All they require is that you take General Physics I and II (Mechanics, and E&M), Modern Physics, take an advanced lab (which is covered by a Nuclear Engineering lab I will have to take), and 9 other credits in upperclassman (300+) courses.

9 credits is essentially 3 classes.

Having a second major seems pointless to me if it does not qualify you for graduate studies or prepare you fully for the physics GRE subject test.

Will these bare-minimums do this?
If so, which courses are needed?
If not...which courses are needed?

Thanks,
Anonymous

Answers and Replies

fss
Upper-level E&M, Statistical Mechanics, Classical Mechanics, and Quantum Mechanics would be the obvious courses I'd consider "necessary" for graduate studies...

anonymity
would you say that those would adequately prepare someone for the GRE, though?

What, in addition to that, would you say could be important?

Suggested for: Which undergrad courses are essential to graduate study success?

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies