Which way does the tanker truck move on frictionless surface?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Kimia
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A tanker which is full of water is parked on a road without friction. The tanker has an outlet pipe which is on the left side. if we open this pipe does the tanker move? describe the tanker's movement.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


The tanker moves to right because the center of gravity of the hole system (all of the water and tanker) moves to left and as a result of that there is a force which pulls the water to left and the reaction pulls the tanker to the right. but the question is then what happens? the tanker accelerates more and more when the water exit but after the hole water exit will it stop or will it continue with the last amount of acceleration?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If there is no friction, what would stop the tanker once the water runs out?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
phinds said:
If there is no friction, what would stop the tanker once the water runs out?
I agree I just wanted to make sure. so the whole solution is correct? I mean it moves right? and the acceleration will increase as long as the water runs out?
 
Kimia said:
I agree I just wanted to make sure. so the whole solution is correct? I mean it moves right? and the acceleration will increase as long as the water runs out?

Sounds right to me, although I think an outlet HOLE would make the problem simpler than an "outlet pipe" because if such a pipe runs for a ways out of the truck, I think that complicates things just a little right at the end.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
phinds said:
Sounds right to me, although I think an outlet HOLE would make the problem simpler than an "outlet pipe" because if such a pipe runs for a ways out of the truck, I think that complicates things just a little right at the end.
yes it was something like a hole. The purpose of the problem was to picture something which water comes out of it I think.