1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which way does the tanker truck move on frictionless surface?

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A tanker which is full of water is parked on a road without friction. The tanker has an outlet pipe which is on the left side. if we open this pipe does the tanker move? describe the tanker's movement.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The tanker moves to right because the center of gravity of the hole system (all of the water and tanker) moves to left and as a result of that there is a force which pulls the water to left and the reaction pulls the tanker to the right. but the question is then what happens? the tanker accelerates more and more when the water exit but after the hole water exit will it stop or will it continue with the last amount of acceleration?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

If there is no friction, what would stop the tanker once the water runs out?

4. Dec 5, 2013 #3
    I agree I just wanted to make sure. so the whole solution is correct? I mean it moves right? and the acceleration will increase as long as the water runs out?

5. Dec 5, 2013 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sounds right to me, although I think an outlet HOLE would make the problem simpler than an "outlet pipe" because if such a pipe runs for a ways out of the truck, I think that complicates things just a little right at the end.

6. Dec 5, 2013 #5
    yes it was something like a hole. The purpose of the problem was to picture something which water comes out of it I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted