Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who are you going to vote for in the election?

1. Obama

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. McCain

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. Sep 17, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Until I have the ability to edit polls again, I am starting a new one here.

Since so much has happened since the original poll, I thought it would be interesting to see how much of a change there has been. I plan to do another poll after the first Presidential debate to see if that changes anyone's mind.

Voting is restricted to registered American voters that plan on voting in November so that the numbers more accurately reflect true voting.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Who will win the General Election?

15 is a pretty low limit.

If only 269 Bush voters had voted for Gore in 2000, he would have won Florida by 1 vote and the electoral college by 49 electoral votes.

4. Sep 17, 2008 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not wanting to pick a fight, or anything, but why are you requesting that only American who intend to vote in the elections register a choice on the poll? The question is "who will win the (US) general election?", not "who are you going to vote for in the election?" It's perfectly possible for anyone to have a valid opinion on this topic: in fact, even if one is planning on voting for a certain candidate, it doesn't necessarily follow that they think the candidate will win! Thus, I'm not sure that restricting the vote is going to give more of an accurate result.

5. Sep 17, 2008 #4

Evo

The poll was actually Gokul's I am just re-using it. You and Bob can beat him up over his choices. :biggrin:

The purpose behind restricting voting to actual voters is because I want a real reflection of which way voters are leaning. Your suggestion of a different title is good, I will make the change.

If someone wants to a create a world opinion poll, they certainly are welcome to, but that's not the purpose of this poll.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  6. Sep 17, 2008 #5
    Well, I am voting for a third-party candidate (keep in mind I live in a 'safe-state'), but since I still meet all the qualifications for this poll I am going to vote in this thread.

I think Obama will probably win and I believe he may win by less than 15 electoral votes. This is entirely possible, as the race is really close and one or two of the states with less than 15 electoral votes could indeed be the deciding factor.

I choose that option, but I am weary of the Obama campaign's tactics and I certainly won't be surprised if McCain wins.

7. Sep 17, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But those are two different questions. Just as an example, I could be planning to vote for Obama, but still think that my sense of public opinion and polling data indicates McCain is going to win by a landslide. (And since I think we all can at least agree neither candidate is winning by a landslide, I used that example so it's clear I'm not giving away my actual opinion here, just illustrating my point.)

8. Sep 17, 2008 #7

Evo

The purpose of this poll is to see how actual registered voters are planning to vote as of right now. Not who you think is going to win, but how you actually plan to vote. I re-used the original polls title, but cristo pointed out that it was confusing.

I'm going to change it once more to eliminate the electoral vote guess.

I specifically selected the option to keep the voting private as I don't feel it's anyone's business to know how any individual plans to vote.

9. Sep 17, 2008 #8
    One of these threads should be made after the debates. I can't really get a good "feel" for the election right now.

I think the current trend in the EC favors McCain but the issues favor obama.

10. Sep 17, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've noticed that Obama's campaign ads have been increasingly aggressively negative about McCain and Palin without actually saying anything about his own strengths, while I've recently seen McCain ads that have taken a new approach of emphasizing McCain's and Palin's strengths (you don't have to agree they are true, just recognize the approach) and manage to undermine Obama's "for change" mantra yet don't actually attack him at all. It just might be enough to sway some borderline voters (or might even give the third party candidates enough votes to shift the electoral vote...that's harder to predict).

I think Obama is losing some steam. This isn't surprising, since he's never gotten a break from campaigning with such a drawn out primary, while McCain had a nice long hiatus to regroup, strategize and just rest before returning in full force to the campaign trail.

On top of that, I think Palin will appeal to the far right Republicans who may not have been particularly motivated to head to the polls before (I suspect the other groups she'd appeal to would have been voting for McCain already). I think this is giving McCain more of an advantage than he previously had. It's still going to be close, but unless there's an "October surprise" out of the Obama campaign, I think the edge is going to go to McCain. But, I've seen public opinion change so many times in the course of this campaign, I'm not going to be convinced of anything until election day results are in.

11. Sep 17, 2008 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That poll now makes restricting to US citizens a lot more sensible :approve:

12. Sep 17, 2008 #11

Evo

I am going to make a poll after the first debate to see how much, if any, change it makes.

Does anyone read my posts? :frown:

Yeah, originally I had just planned to reset the first poll to re-take the vote, but realized that it didn't actually reflect how people were planning to vote.

13. Sep 17, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Um, I already voted based on the original poll options, since the feedback thread that led me here left me thinking that was the intent of this poll, simply to see what has changed since the first poll on the same topic.

Edit: Nevermind, it's letting me vote again. Wow, it's just like Chicago elections...vote early and vote often. :rofl:

14. Sep 17, 2008 #13

Danger

Gold Member

I can't vote in the poll because I'm not a Yank. I am, however, going to sneak into the US, obtain at least 100,000 fake ID's, and vote for Obama with every one of them. :approve:

15. Sep 17, 2008 #14

Evo

That's also why I'm not allowing "multiple choice". :tongue2:

16. Sep 17, 2008 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No Nader?

17. Sep 17, 2008 #16

Evo

The "also running" vote is always so low that I didn't include it.

Please don't make me change it again. :cry:

18. Sep 17, 2008 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oh, no. It's perfect the way it is.

19. Sep 17, 2008 #18
    This is consistent with the original title of the thread and inconsistent with the current one.

20. Sep 17, 2008 #19

Evo

I would rename the thread "Who are you going to vote for in the election that actually has a chance of winning?", but that's too long.

21. Sep 17, 2008 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How come it's letting you vote again? I can't vote again and, since the options changed, I don't even know who I voted for! Oh god, please don't let me have voted for Pat Buchanon by accident. :redface:

Why do you folks always disenfranchise us poor, but honest voters?! :cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?