Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who do you want to win (for non-Americans)

1. McCain

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Obama

30 vote(s)
    88.2%
  1. Sep 17, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ok, for all of the members that feel left out because they can't vote in the other poll, this poll is to see who non-Americans would choose for President. I know how much people like polls and I don't want to deprive anyone.

Actually I think it will be interesting to compare the two polls.

If you are voting in the registered voters only thread, please do not vote in this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think I'll hazard a guess that Obama will win this hands down. After all, would the world be a safe place with Palin as president (in all but name)?

4. Sep 17, 2008 #3

Astronuc

I want the American people to win.

Given those two choices - I have to go with Obama.

5. Sep 17, 2008 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With all due respect to Evo , hasn't this already been established? From what I know it's Obama ... big time , particulary in Europe.

6. Sep 17, 2008 #5

Evo

Yes, but people complained about being left out of the other poll.

7. Sep 17, 2008 #6
    Of five Canadians Plus myself, the quick vote for this room is 4 Obama, 2 McCain.

8. Sep 18, 2008 #7

Defennder

Homework Helper

I remember I had a Chinese friend I knew some years back out of high school. Upon hearing the news that Bush was re-elected in 2004, he smiled and said it was a good thing. I asked him why, and the answer he gave was "Well, given how terrible a president he is, all the better that he remains in power so that he'll lead the US to ruin."

So of course it's not true that non-US citizens would vote Obama. They might vote McCain, for very different reasons.

9. Sep 18, 2008 #8
    McCain. from what i have seen, he can be named bush 3rd.
    i mean, whats to hate in bushes policy? since he came to power, our economy is stronger, we have more freedom, theres a lot of new foreign investments, our ties with our allies are stronger, corruption is being stamped out and all the old corrupt politicians have been replaced with more honest ones. whats not to like?

10. Sep 18, 2008 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

:rofl: :rofl: This could depend on what you mean by "we," but I think it's safe to say that none of what you've said is true!

11. Sep 18, 2008 #10

why not?

12. Sep 18, 2008 #11
    ^Sarcasm.

13. Sep 18, 2008 #12

baywax

Gold Member

Actually, I was looking forward to becoming a Canadian Insurgent prepared for when the Republicans invaded Alberta. The trick here is that once any US troops or tanks got to Edmonton, they'd drop into the horrendous slag pits of the oil sands, then be overcome by the toxic soup and fumes.

Did you know you have to burn 4 barrels of natural gas to make 1 barrel of the dirtiest oil on the market when you do it in Alberta? Did you know there's a 140 mile wide hole seeping into the 2nd largest watershed in the world because of our dependence on this fuel? Help.

I guess if you vote Palin in, she'll be concentrating on drilling the heck out of the National Parks in Alaska. That should distract them for a few years. Just enough time to cover the pits in Alberta with fake Tundra.

14. Sep 18, 2008 #13

Astronuc

:rofl: The Canadian version of astroturf. :biggrin: Well, as long as one can play golf on it, it should be just fine. :rofl:

15. Sep 18, 2008 #14

baywax

Gold Member

One of my in-laws bought rights to asphalt just after the 2ndWW. He may be missing his toes to frostbite from a bail out over Finland, but after paving all the runways in the prairies, he's a very rich man. Makes for interesting golf. You can always see the ball.

By the way, one analyst said the Tar Sands project is like turning Gold into Lead.

16. Sep 18, 2008 #15

Art

McCain wouldn't be too bad but I prefer Obama and much more so with Palin on McCain's ticket as I see her as out and out dangerous.

Before being fully convinced by Obama I would like to know who Obama has in mind for key gov't posts if he becomes president? Anyone any ideas who is front bench is likely to be?

17. Sep 18, 2008 #16

Astronuc

18. Sep 19, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: I thought you were a US Citizen. Don't you belong over in the other poll?

19. Sep 19, 2008 #18
    I did not vote. Whoever wins, America looses at any rate. The ugly consequence of groupthink.

You need a third candidate, the one that goes for reality.

20. Sep 19, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree! I voted in the other poll based on who I think is the stronger of the two candidates, but I really like neither. I'm giving serious consideration to a write-in choice this year, because neither candidate looks prepared for the reality of the next 4 years.

21. Sep 19, 2008 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you saying this year has worse candidates than in previous recent elections? Who would you say were some of the stronger candidates over the last few election cycles?

Most recent contenders: Bush II, Kerry, Gore, Clinton, Dole, Bush I, Perot, Dukakis

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?