Who do you want to win (for non-Americans)

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date

Who do you want to win (for non-Americans)

• McCain

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Obama

Votes: 30 88.2%

• Total voters
Borek
Mentor
This seems to be a universal problem for those seeking national executive office in any country. The promises/goals expressed in the campaigns do not match up to the every day post-election reality.
That's why I base my selection of candidates not on promises, but on whether I would like to have them as neighbours.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
That's why I base my selection of candidates not on promises, but on whether I would like to have them as neighbours.
I wouldn't mind having McCain or Obama as next door neighbors, but they would have to move to my neighborhood. I can't afford to live in their neighborhoods. :rofl:

somasimple
Gold Member
vanesch said:
Yes, Sarkozy is much too far to the left to my taste, and my hope during his campaign was that this was not going to be so. I see Sarkozy as 100 miles to the left of Obama.
Sarkozy at left? Not at all! He just use arguments to gain votes and "kill" the PS.

vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sarkozy at left? Not at all! He just use arguments to gain votes and "kill" the PS.
When I say "left" I mean economically left of course.

In that sense he's very left-wing. State intervention, state intervention, state intervention.
A statement like "I'm the president of the purchase power of the people" cannot be anything but a leftist statement. A right-wing guy would never say such a thing. He'd say: "you will have the purchase power you generate yourself and if you don't find it sufficient, then you only have yourself to blame." A right-wing guy would never go and visit a company and try to talk them in not closing a factory or so. He'd say that the factory has to be there where it can make highest income for lowest expense, and if that happens to be in Poland or China, then that's the place to go. A right-wing guy would never visit farmers or fishermen or whatever and tell them that the state will help them. He'd rather say that if they think that their way of making money is not pleasing them, they should go into another business where they think they can get more for their assets, and if they can't find any better place, well, then that means that they get their true market price out of it.

Republicans or Democrats from a non-US perspective? Hm. Do you remember when Clinton bombed the pharmaceutical factory in Sudan that was indirectly responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths? Perhaps you recall that his administration gave more money to the two worst human rights violators of the 90s (Columbia and Turkey) than to any other country? Iraq sanctions anyone? "Bombies"?

And these were the good guys!

In short: It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government will still get in.

somasimple
Gold Member
vanesch said:
A right-wing guy would never go and visit a company and try to talk them in not closing a factory or so.
Did he change a thing? Just a social illusion... But the strike was...avoided.

baywax
Gold Member
Oh, no, I like that. No, there's a feeling I have about Obama that makes him look a bit like Sarkozy in France: the "unkept promise". A brilliant campaign, full of good ideas etc... but once in power, confronted with the realities of the day-to-day political machine, business as usual.

I can't define it, but it is the same feeling as with the perfect car deal: a super car, with all the options, low consumption, high quality... for half the price than the competition. Even if everything looks ok, you tell yourself: there's something fishy about this deal.
I say ruthless because of an article I read about Obama knocking out his mentor in politics in Chicago. She had left politics for some reason then came back to run for a high position... perhaps Senator. Obama went for the same position and won by pointing out certain defects in her policies... and perhaps other, more personal details. I have been unable to find the article since.

So, who do you trust? A person who relies on the emotions of the constituents and their fears about being bombed to get them re-elected? Or do you risk it with someone who has a dream that may or may not be enacted once in office?

vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So, who do you trust? A person who relies on the emotions of the constituents and their fears about being bombed to get them re-elected? Or do you risk it with someone who has a dream that may or may not be enacted once in office?
If you point to McCain-Obama, there's no discussion. I voted Obama without the slightest bit of hesitation.

vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Did he change a thing? Just a social illusion... But the strike was...avoided.
A strike in a private company that is going to close down shouldn't affect a right-wing guy the slightest: it is part of the market mechanism that establishes the right price for labor.

BTW, I'm not saying that I myself am in favor for a right-wing policy like that ; I'm only pointing out that Sarkozy is effectively leading a very left-wing economical policy. Maybe less left-wing than usual, but nevertheless very state-intervention and regulation oriented, not to obtain highest efficiency, but rather to redistribute and "solve people's problems" which it doesn't, btw.
He seems to be aware of it himself, as he needs to state himself that he's "right wing" :smile:
He tries to, but he can't.

I vote mugabe, but damn, he's too busy with his own problems. Mbeki needs a new job after resigning, maybe he's willing to try something new.

nah, actually I think it would be pretty cool for the US to have their first female or black president, seeing that hillary is out of the race, I go Obama! plus it rhymes with Alabama if you say it right and his first name is kinda like "the rock".

hmmm... to be honest I don't give a rat's. :crawls into foetal position under desk and awaits punishment: :wink:

nabki
2 more votes for mccain!