Who are you going to vote for in the election?

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, a new poll is being started due to the inability to edit previous polls. The purpose of the poll is to see how opinions may have changed after the first Presidential debate. The voting is restricted to registered American voters who plan on voting in November. The limit for the poll is 15 votes. The restriction is in place to accurately reflect true voting. If only 269 Bush voters had voted for Gore in 2000, he would have won Florida and the electoral college. The poll was originally created by Gokul and is now being reused. The purpose of restricting voting to actual voters is to get a real reflection of how voters are leaning. The poll was originally titled "who will win the (US) general election?" but

Who are you going to vote for in the election?

• Obama

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • McCain

Votes: 10 34.5%

• Total voters
russ_watters said:
That site was a pretty small site from a pretty small newspaper so not a real good source.
Congressional Quarterly is a "pretty small newspaper"?

From the wiki:
Despite its name, CQ was published quarterly for only one year. Demand drove more frequent updates, first weekly, then daily. CQ was also an early leader in delivering information on a real-time basis, starting with a dial-up service in 1984. Its Web site dominates the market for online legislative tracking information, and has been nominated for several awards. In recent years, CQ has launched several electronic-only newsletters with greater focus on particular areas, including CQ Homeland Security, CQ Budget Tracker, CQ HealthBeat, and CQ Green Sheets.

russ said:
They only reviewed about a dozen quotes.
They have reviewed 119 quotes from McCain and 126 quotes from Obama. I think that's a little more than a dozen.

Did you think I got these percentages out of a dozen quotes?
Gokul43201 said:
Meanwhile, here's the score on lying by the two campaigns, according to Politifact.com.
Code:
Truthiness   McCain      Obama
---------------------------------
True           22%        34%
Mostly True    18%        21%
Half True      17%        18%
Barely True    19%        11%
False          19%        16%
Pants on Fire  05%        00%

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1873569&postcount=206

That table today looks like this:

Code:
Truthiness   McCain      Obama
---------------------------------
True           21%        33%
Mostly True    18%        20%
Half True      16%        18%
Barely True    20%        12%
False          19%        16%
Pants on Fire  05%        01%

Not a whole lot has changed in the cumulative record.

russ said:
One doozie that I had forgottenabout (and isn't listed on that site) is Obama's whopper from the end of March about McCain wanting a 100 year war.
It is listed on that site. Obama won himself a rating of "False" for that.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/388/

In Obama's defense, once he was called out on that, he almost immediately changed the words he used. In subsequent speeches, he only referred to McCain admitting to a 100 year troop presence, as evidenced by this question from Fox's Megyn Kelly on Apr 1:
KELLY: So, OK, it goes on and on. What about Obama's refined position that McCain supports a 100 year troop presence in Iraq is inaccurate?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,344988,00.html

russ said:
The list of ads on the front page of factcheck implies a shift by Obama in the past week to be more on the attack and looser with the truth.
While that is true, Obama has a long way to go to make it into McCain's league. The factcheck.org "Whoppers of 2008" list catches the McCain campaign 23 times and the Obama campaign 12 times.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/the_whoppers_of_2008.html [Broken]

russ said:
He also has a highly effective ad that he's been playing a lot that white washes the gender/income gap issue in the US. Simply put, it doesn't exist.
I agree, mostly. If McCain disappeared today, and Obama kept going, they would be about even by November.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To be perfectly honest, I saw GQ second, next to the name of a local Florida newspaper, and a somewhat amateurish website and didn't read all the way through their explanations. I'll concede that it is somewhat better than I had realized.

<h2>1. Who are the candidates running in the election?</h2><p>The candidates running in the election vary depending on the specific election and location. It is important to research and stay informed about the candidates in your area.</p><h2>2. What are the candidates' stances on important issues?</h2><p>The candidates' stances on important issues can be found through their campaign websites, debates, and interviews. It is important to research and compare their stances to make an informed decision.</p><h2>3. How do I know which candidate aligns with my values?</h2><p>Researching the candidates' backgrounds, stances on issues, and voting records can help determine which candidate aligns with your values. Additionally, attending town halls and debates can provide insight into their character and values.</p><h2>4. Is it important to vote in the election?</h2><p>Yes, it is important to vote in the election as it is a fundamental right and responsibility as a citizen. Your vote can make a difference in shaping the future of your community and country.</p><h2>5. How do I register to vote?</h2><p>The process for registering to vote varies by state. You can visit your state's election website or contact your local election office for information on how to register to vote.</p>

1. Who are the candidates running in the election?

The candidates running in the election vary depending on the specific election and location. It is important to research and stay informed about the candidates in your area.

2. What are the candidates' stances on important issues?

The candidates' stances on important issues can be found through their campaign websites, debates, and interviews. It is important to research and compare their stances to make an informed decision.

3. How do I know which candidate aligns with my values?

Researching the candidates' backgrounds, stances on issues, and voting records can help determine which candidate aligns with your values. Additionally, attending town halls and debates can provide insight into their character and values.

4. Is it important to vote in the election?

Yes, it is important to vote in the election as it is a fundamental right and responsibility as a citizen. Your vote can make a difference in shaping the future of your community and country.

5. How do I register to vote?

The process for registering to vote varies by state. You can visit your state's election website or contact your local election office for information on how to register to vote.