Who Has the Best Communication Skills on Physics Forums?

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
In summary: Lesser?In summary, the best communication skills on PF seem to be those of Moonbear, Clausius, Astronuc, and Danger. These individuals are approachable, have a unique style, and are funny. Evo and brewnog are also good communicators, but Moonbear and Clausius stand out the most.
arildno said:
There's a river defining the boundary between Norway and Sweden; it's outlet region is called Hog's Bay (SVINESUND), so I called the river (whose name I can't remember) for Hog's Creek.
Okay, it all makes sense now. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
honestrosewater said:
Okay, it all makes sense now. :biggrin:
Not to me, it doesn't. :cry:
My inadequacies* have been bared&exposed to all of PF, and it is my fault, and mine alone! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

*(in geography, that is)

Last edited:
arildno said:
Not to me, it doesn't. :cry:
My inadequacies* have been bared&exposed to all of PF, and it is my fault, and mine alone! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

*(in geography, that is)
Aw, cheer up. You can make up for it by exposing your assets.* :biggrin:

*(Made you look.)

I think honestrosewater, russ_waters, dduardo, and Danger communicate best.

I think MK is very wise. :approve:

What the heck is that in your avatar :D

A doornob, don't you think it suits her?

Pengwuino said:
What the heck is that in your avatar :D
http://xs41.xs.to/pics/05323/doorknob5.jpg
Well, that doesn't look right - I'm still playing with the scanner. And I lost the stupid serial number to Photoshop so haven't reinstalled it yet, so I have to use the crapola that came with the scanner.
It's a doorknob at my grandparent's house. It's one of my favorite photos. I may change it if I can't get it to look better. Can you really not tell what it is, or are you just being you? :-p

Last edited by a moderator:
Smurf said:
A doornob, don't you think it suits her?
Ouch, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

honestrosewater said:
Ouch, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Er.. but are you sure you want people to think it is a doorknob and have people associate you with that? :)

I remember one mother extremely angry at her ... er... very "loose" daughter that she finally has had it one day and yelled to her "Oh, you're just like a doorknob! Everybody gets a turn!"

:)

Zz.

Looked like a mini-cam to me :|

ZapperZ said:
Er.. but are you sure you want people to think it is a doorknob and have people associate you with that? :)

I remember one mother extremely angry at her ... er... very "loose" daughter that she finally has had it one day and yelled to her "Oh, you're just like a doorknob! Everybody gets a turn!"
Okay, so maybe I'll change it. My interpretations are richer.

honestrosewater said:

But then again, I still have people asking what "comet" is that pictured in my avatar. So who knows what all the possible interpretations one can get out of a picture.

Zz.

Hey zapper, what city is that in your avatar

Pengwuino said:
Hey zapper, what city is that in your avatar

[ZapperZ smacks Pengwuino with a large boson]

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
But then again, I still have people asking what "comet" is that pictured in my avatar. So who knows what all the possible interpretations one can get out of a picture.

Zz.
Hey, what is your avatar? :redface: Gimme just a hint?

honestrosewater said:

It looks like a doorstop from here, due to the light ring in the middle, which looks like rubber. A nice Mena Suvari-style body shot with the strategically placed rose petals might suit you better.

loseyourname said:
It looks like a doorstop from here, due to the light ring in the middle, which looks like rubber. A nice Mena Suvari-style body shot with the strategically placed rose petals might suit you better.
[imitate=Bill Lumbergh from [i]Office Space[/i]]Ummm, yeeeaaah.[/imitate]

honestrosewater said:
Hey, what is your avatar? :redface: Gimme just a hint?

Not really a mystery since I've mentioned it a few times.

It's a raw data that I took from an angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) experiment of an overdoped high-Tc superconductor. It was published in PRL a few years ago. If this were done on a regular metal, the bright portion would have continued to the bottom and starts curving back up. But for this exotic material, the signal just simply diffuses away...

Now aren't you sorry you asked? :)

Zz.

honestrosewater said:
[imitate=Bill Lumbergh from [i]Office Space[/i]]Ummm, yeeeaaah.[/imitate]

I googled honest rose water and she came up:

http://www.water-consciousness.com/images/meryl.jpg

If that's you, I agree with your decision not to post a picture.

ZapperZ said:
Now aren't you sorry you asked? :)
No, that's cool. I don't know what 'overdoped high-Tc' means, but I think I get the idea.

loseyourname said:
If that's you, I agree with your decision not to post a picture.
She looks like a very nice lady, but no, I don't look that old for my age.

ZapperZ said:

:)

Zz.
:smile: I've never heard that expression before! Here I was just thinking of the expression, "Dumb as a doorknob." Not sure that's a very good impression either, but at least not as bad as what you were thinking! Though I did think it was a cool picture.

loseyourname said:
That's so very close to the way I've always imagined her.

Nobody seems to talking about Communication here anymore!
Thanks God,this thread seems Fruitful now!

marlon said:
ok, what have you learned from Moonbear ?

How do the communication skills of these two people differ from each other. Where are they alike ?

If you want to make a claim, than tell us why you think something like that ? Explain your point. that is what good communication is all about. Remember to illustrate your point with examples, like extracts from posts of these people.

Good Luck

marlon

Marlon,
First of all i would like to ask you,why did you choose these two peoples out of 5 peoples i mentioned.What about other 3,??

Gentleman,you can be honest with me and ask me straight
"Why my name(Marlon!) is not there in the list"??

I very well know that yours Field(Physics!) does not crosses Moonbear's(Biology!),that must have barred you from knowing better about her,but i seriously think she is the most approachable and one of most helpful member on the Pf!I am not sure that whether she is ultimate expert of her subject but whenever she replies to anybody she keeps her all egos aside and tries to peep exactly into the situation and understand well and then she replies.Even though she ignores me but i know all this,because i read most of her replies but these days i notice that her posts in Gd seems to diverge her from her Biology section!

I realized other gr8 thought provoking lady here-Evo indeed a beautiful mind!

heman said:
Marlon,
First of all i would like to ask you,why did you choose these two peoples out of 5 peoples i mentioned.What about other 3,??
I just took out two people of different fields, at random.

So what is your comparison ? You did not answer my question... I wonder why that is ? :rolleyes:

I very well know that yours Field(Physics!) does not crosses Moonbear's(Biology!),that must have barred you from knowing better about her,but i seriously think she is the most approachable and one of most helpful member on the Pf!
But how was she ever helpful to YOU ?

Being nice ain't the same as being helpful. I always feared you were going to chose for the 'el sympatico's' among us because you mix being likeable with being competent. That's so typical :rolleyes:

marlon

ps once again : i ask you to answer my original question, thankyouverymuch

marlon said:
Being nice ain't the same as being helpful. I always feared you were going to chose for the 'el sympatico's' among us because you mix being likeable with being competent. That's so typical :rolleyes:
Are you accusing me of being incompetent?! :mad:

(Just teasing you, I know what you're really asking.)

Don't worry Marlon, you communicate well too, even if you're in a grouchy mood too often. :biggrin:

marlon said:

So what is your comparison ? You did not answer my question... I wonder why that is ? :rolleyes:

marlon

ps once again : i ask you to answer my original question, thankyouverymuch
If you read "How to approach her" thread, you can find out why he thinks Clausius2 is helpful.

Moonbear said:
Are you accusing me of being incompetent?! :mad:

(Just teasing you, I know what you're really asking.)

Don't worry Marlon, you communicate well too, even if you're in a grouchy mood too often. :biggrin:

there's nothing wrong with grouchy if that is communicated with good intentions... it's part of being honest in my opinion

Lisa! said:
If you read "How to approach her" thread, you can find out why he thinks Clausius2 is helpful.

Ha Ha Ha!
That's Smart Lisa!
you hit exactly at the point this time!
Well that aroused me to know about Clausius and i found him to be impressive!

Thanks because of !s, heman!

To Moonbear : thanks for one of the few honest opinions, together with those of Outsider

To Outsider : again you read my mind man. Glad to see there is another intelligent being here. Oopps

To Heman, hey my most beloved and most developed friend, what about an answer to my question ? Saying that Moonbear is easy to approach (which i do not agree with because she is always cloacked for the wrong reasons :)...she is just about mmmm...everywhere) does NOT imply that she is a great communicator. Again, i did not ask whether you like Moonbear or not, i do NOT CARE, i asked about a comparitive study between Clausius and Moonbear when it comes to communication skills. I also asked what YOU ever learned from her.

Please answer my question, i would be most grateful.

To Lisa : sorry, i will not reply to you anymore since i am afraid of communicating with you.

marlon

marlon said:

marlon said:

Well my topic wasn't "Who is most helpful member of Pf"
But since you have asked i will tell this time-
1.She has cleared around 15-20 queries of biology and relating to medicine !
2.She has given me some excellent time management skills,tips on scheduling etc.etc.
3.She boosted and encouraged my confidence !
I know a lot about her and when i will have time i will make a very big thread exploring her completely!At the moment i am preoccupied with Mechanics,and all those boring stuff you know!

That's typical because it's my inherent nature and i like appreciating peoples if i find them the way i think.

marlon

ps once again : i ask you to answer my original question, thankyouverymuch[/QUOTE]

heman said:
Well my topic wasn't "Who is most helpful member of Pf"
But since you have asked i will tell this time-
1.She has cleared around 15-20 queries of biology and relating to medicine !
2.She has given me some excellent time management skills,tips on scheduling etc.etc.
3.She boosted and encouraged my confidence !
I know a lot about her and when i will have time i will make a very big thread exploring her completely!At the moment i am preoccupied with Mechanics,and all those boring stuff you know!

That is No answer to my question. READ MY PREVIOUS POST

Besides, as far as the time management stuff is concerned, did you by any chance asked her that through PM.

I will answer the question for you, because you seem on the slow side when it comes to responding : YES YOU DID

You did the same with me, ok, so now based upon my reply and Moonbear's reply concerning time management and self-confidence stuff, what was the most useful reply to you and why ? Who of us is better in communication when you look at Moonbear's reply and mine ? Tell me that for instance. Do not come with answers like Moonbear is easier to approach because, clearly, these types of answers do not fit within the question's context. Any mediocre communicator can see that ...

That's typical because it's my inherent nature and i like appreciating peoples if i find them the way i think.
Well, you must be real easy than...
You DO know that thinking like this creates dictators, do you ?

Can i ask you how old you really are ? Just curious.

Yours Truthfully
marlon

marlon said:
To Lisa : sorry, i will not reply to you anymore since i am afraid of communicating with you.

marlon
:smile: Good. But You can get over your fear just like me. Although I really take what you said as a compliment for myself.

marlon said:
To Outsider : again you read my mind man. Glad to see there is another intelligent being here. Oopps

"another"!
And who is the first one!