Who picks your research topic for a PhD?

In summary, selecting a topic for your thesis research in the field of gravity depends on your advisor's willingness to sponsor and the background of both the student and teacher. It is important to communicate with your advisor and suggest a topic of interest, but also be open to their guidance in focusing the topic. Additionally, it is important to be aware of potential changes in your advisor's interest and maintain vigilance to ensure necessary support for graduation. The selection of a dissertation committee may vary at different universities, but it is typically a joint decision between the student and advisor based on department rules.
TomServo
For example, if your advisor specializes in gravity, but has a subfield specialty (like Horava-Lifschitz gravity) and most of their papers for the last several years are about that subspecialty, does that mean your thesis research will be about that, or could it be about any gravitational thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on what your advisor is willing to sponsor. He needs to put together a dissertation committee at some point and would need to select others qualified to review your work. Selection of topic is done between student and teacher based on the background of both people so don't be afraid to suggest a topic of interest. Also students sometimes select too big of a topic and your advisors experience can help you focus it down to something more manageable.

One thing to be aware of is that some advisors may lose interst in your work and you need to be vigilant there and not fall into the trap of not getting the support you may need otherwise you might not graduate.

Thanks.

jedishrfu said:
[Your advisor] needs to put together a dissertation committee at some point and would need to select others qualified to review your work.

This may vary at different universities. When I was preparing for Ph.D. candidacy 35+ years ago (while finishing my initial Ph.D. coursework and after having chosen my research field and advisor), I had to round up faculty for my committee myself, after discussing my choices with my advisor. I had to take into account my department's rules for composition of the committee. As I recall, I had to have at least one theorist and one experimentalist, and one person from outside the department.

Last edited:

As a scientist pursuing a PhD, the choice of research topic is ultimately up to the individual student. While an advisor may offer guidance and suggestions based on their own expertise and current research interests, it is ultimately the responsibility of the student to select a research topic that aligns with their own interests and goals.

While an advisor's specialization in a particular subfield may influence the types of research projects they are currently working on, this does not necessarily mean that a student's thesis research must also focus on the same subfield. In fact, pursuing a different aspect or application of gravity can provide a unique and valuable contribution to the field.

Ultimately, the most important factor in selecting a research topic for a PhD is to choose something that you are passionate about and will motivate you throughout the course of your studies. This will not only lead to a more fulfilling and enjoyable experience, but also result in a stronger and more impactful thesis.

1. Who decides what research topic I will work on for my PhD?

The research topic for a PhD is typically determined by the student in collaboration with their advisor or supervising professor. It is important for the student to choose a topic that aligns with their interests and expertise, but also one that is feasible and relevant to the field of study.

2. Can I change my research topic during my PhD program?

Yes, it is possible to change your research topic during your PhD program, but it will require approval from your advisor and potentially your department or university. It is important to have a clear and compelling reason for wanting to change your topic, as well as a plan for how it will impact your progress and timeline.

3. Does the funding source for my PhD influence my research topic?

In some cases, the funding source for a PhD program may have specific requirements or expectations for the research topic. However, ultimately it is up to the student and their advisor to determine the specific focus and direction of the research, as long as it meets the requirements and goals of the funding source.

4. Can I collaborate with others on my research topic for my PhD?

Collaboration is often encouraged in the research process, and it is possible to work with others on your PhD research topic. However, it is important to acknowledge and properly credit any contributions from collaborators, and to ensure that the majority of the work is still your own original contribution.

5. How can I ensure that my research topic is original and contributes to the field?

Choosing a research topic that is both original and contributes to the field requires thorough research and a deep understanding of the current literature and gaps in knowledge. It is also important to discuss your ideas with your advisor and colleagues, and to continually refine and adjust your topic as you conduct your research and gather new insights.