1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why addition? Integral problem

1. May 22, 2013 #1
    Hello, I can't seem to paste this in. So here is the link.
    http://www.calcchat.com/book/Calculus-ETF-5e/
    It is chapter 7, section 1, question 17.
    Why are you adding ∫ [(x+2) +√4 -x] dx + ∫ 2(√4 -x) dx
    ???
    I'm confused for 2 reasons. Why can you not just evaluate from -5 to 4? ( you will see the bounds I don't know how to put them on my integral here)
    Why must you evaluate from -5 to 0 then from 0 to 4?
    I understand the last term ∫ 2(√4 -x) dx this is 2 times because half is below the x axis.
    But the first part...∫ [(x+2) +√4 -x] dx
    Why would you add them. I can't seem to visualize why this would be. It seems I would find the area under x+2 then subtract that from the area under √4 -x.
    Why not ??
    Thanks,
    J

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

They are really subtracting something. What is the equation of the lower half of that parabola?
    Because the formula for the typical area element changes at 0. Between -5 and 0, the typical area element is (yupper - ylower)Δx. After that, yupper is not a value on that line.

4. May 22, 2013 #3
    Yeah Yeah I see. It is a negative.-

thx

5. May 23, 2013 #4
    Similar question. http://www.calcchat.com/book/Calculus-ETF-5e/
    part b they want you to rotate it about the y axis and in part c about the line x = 3.
    I don't understand this difference in writing for part b....... 3^2 - (y^2)^2

And in part c they write (3-y)^2 I don't get it.
    It is chapter 7 section 2 question 11.
    Thanks

6. May 23, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Seeing that you also started a new thread for this new problem (which is the right thing to do), I am closing this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook