Why anchoring battery racks to both floor and wall is not recommended

  • Thread starter Thread starter MitYeltu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Battery Wall
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
MitYeltu
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I am working on putting a new battery rack into a substation. I was re-reading the NESC and came across section 143. This section suggests it is not recommended to anchor my rack to both the floor and the wall. Can anyone explain why this is not recommended?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are in an earthquake zone, the wall and floor could move relative to each other in minor quakes.
This could tear your rack apart if it was connected to both of them.
 
vk6kro said:
If you are in an earthquake zone, the wall and floor could move relative to each other in minor quakes.
This could tear your rack apart if it was connected to both of them.

Brilliant. I learn something new every dang day here on the PF.
 
That makes sense. I hadn't thought about that, but I agree now that I have. Now, don't be angry for my asking it this way, but, is that the NESC reason for not attaching it to both? I have not seen that specified anywhere.
 
It could work the other way, too.

If the rack was very strong, it could stop part of the wall moving and cause damage to the building.