Why are 2/3 of my brake lights required to work by law?

In summary, the conversation centers around a state statute that requires two out of three brake lights to be working on a vehicle. The question is raised about the necessity of having multiple brake lights and whether one brake light can be as bright as two or three. There is a discussion about the importance of visibility in traffic and the potential consequences of not following the law. The conversation ends with the decision to contact a legislator for potential change in the law.
ItsOpposite
In my State, the statute says 2 of 3 brake lights required. How is one brake light any brighter than 3 or 4?

Is my perception of reality flawed? & though I say it is just as bright, when asked to give a reason why, I can not produce any answer. Is it because it is simply “there” or is it because of Inverse Square Law?

I thought that Inverse Sq Law requires some sort of delta, d change to whereas here, it’s simply a question as to whether it’s there or not.
How do I approach this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ItsOpposite said:
In my State, the statute says 2 of 3 brake lights required. How is one brake light any brighter than 3 or 4?

Is my perception of reality flawed? & though I say it is just as bright, when asked to give a reason why, I can not produce any answer. Is it because it is simply “there” or is it because of Inverse Square Law?

I thought that Inverse Sq Law requires some sort of delta, d change to whereas here, it’s simply a question as to whether it’s there or not.
How do I approach this?
Are you referring to the lights on the back of a car? I think the third was added because it could be difficult to distinguish the others from the normal tail lights.

Likes sysprog and davenn
russ_watters said:
Are you referring to the lights on the back of a car? I think the third was added because it could be difficult to distinguish the others from the normal tail lights.

I am referring to the brake lights.

I was charged for this statute & had found guilty. I am asking because, empirically, 1 out of 3 brake light is just as “bright” as 2 out 3.

But that isn’t what the Law says So I need to know if I need to change my perception of reality.

• Sad
Likes Dale
ItsOpposite said:
But that isn’t what the Law says So I need to know if I need to change my perception of reality.
In this case, your perception of reality is irrelevent. It is a state law ( regardless of the reason),
you need to follow the law or risk getting fined. Simple as that

It would be the same as you saying that murder is ok, because that is your perception of reality

Likes russ_watters
ItsOpposite said:
[...snip...]
How do I approach this?
If you have a valid argument and data, consider contacting your legislator. In my state the local representatives respond to inputs from constituents. For example, although he personally disagreed with using cannabis, our rep helped legalize cannabis for medical use after numerous inputs and public reviews. Now legal statewide.

Likes ItsOpposite
Are you arguing that you should be allowed to drive with just ONE brake light? I can't tell from your post.

phinds said:
Are you arguing that you should be allowed to drive with just ONE brake light? I can't tell from your post.

In simple terms, Yes. Though I don’t see it as ONE brake light. It’s simply stop lamp, maybe a question of antiquity.

& that I had 50,000 would be just the same.

There’s disagreement between Democracy & empirical Truth; one is unchanging & invariant and that one is corrupting the other. I say 1 brake light out of 3 is just fine.

• Sad
Likes Dale
The visibility of different brake lights, on a vehicle in traffic, will vary depending upon their location on your car and the location of other vehicles in the traffic.
I would guess this is why you should have at least two lights, one on each side. One may be obscured by traffic in some conditions while the other would be visible and informative to other drivers. This would make it a safer situation.
Not sure about the third light.
Your post does not mention the location of the lights.

Likes russ_watters
BillTre said:
The visibility of different brake lights, on a vehicle in traffic, will vary depending upon their location on your car and the location of other vehicles in the traffic.
I would guess this is why you should have at least two lights, one on each side. One may be obscured by traffic in some conditions while the other would be visible and informative to other drivers. This would make it a safer situation.
Not sure about the third light.
Your post does not mention the location of the lights.

The location of the working lamp is either side. Left

I disagree on your statement about visibility. You would have to be in the ditch. & in that case, the situation seems to have been resolved. I’ll contact my legislator.

Thanks

• Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes davenn and hutchphd
ItsOpposite said:
Total brightness is mostly irrelevant. It has to do with visibility in traffic.
ItsOpposite said:
I was charged for this statute & had found guilty. I am asking because, empirically, 1 out of 3 brake light is just as “bright” as 2 out 3.

Yes. Think "visibility in traffic" instead of "total brighness of the brake lights".
phinds said:
Hopefully it's just a fixit-ticket where he lives. I'm pretty sure a burned out brake light is a simple fix-it violation here in NorCal, which is a very low-cost infraction as long as you fix it within the allowed time and have it signed off by an officer at the local PD. On the other hand, if you're obnoxious and try to call "BS" like this poster is trying to do, it could end up in court and there could be a higher fine than just a simple fix-it ticket. I wonder what happened in this case... :wink:
ItsOpposite said:
There’s disagreement between Democracy & empirical Truth; one is unchanging & invariant and that one is corrupting the other. I say 1 brake light out of 3 is just fine.
Then you have never almost been in an accident because the vehicle in front of you or near you has a burned out stop lamp and they braked unexpectedly. There have historically been two stoplamps on cars to be sure people in traffic on either side of them to the rear can see that they are braking, especially if they are towing a trailer and the following vehicles are close enough to see the vehicle stoplights and not the trailer stoplights (assuming the trailer stoplights are working).

And the high 3rd stoplight was added a few years ago because it helps cars following 2 cars behind to see that a lead car has hit its brakes (seen through the rear and front windows of the car ahead of it).
ItsOpposite said:
I disagree on your statement about visibility. You would have to be in the ditch. & in that case, the situation seems to have been resolved. I’ll contact my legislator.
I feel bad for your legislator. They are probably busy enough dealing with real problems.

Please just replace the burned out bulb, and make a habit of checking your brake lights and turn signal lights frequently.

Thread is done.

Last edited:
Likes Dale, sysprog, davenn and 4 others
ItsOpposite said:
You wrote "2 of 3 brake lights required." Did you mean "2 or 3 brake lights required"?

ItsOpposite said:
Though I don’t see it as ONE brake light. It’s simply stop lamp, maybe a question of antiquity.

& that I had 50,000 would be just the same.
Well, no. If the law says that you have to have two brake lights for older cars, and another in the middle for new cars, then one light is not the same as three.
ItsOpposite said:
This is a meaningless argument, unrelated to empirical truth and the inverse square law that you mentioned earlier. Unless you can convince the people of your state to get their legislators to change the law, you won't get far in any court trying to argue that one brake light is enough.

Likes Dale, sysprog, davenn and 1 other person
ItsOpposite said:
How do I approach this?
You ask an EMT or a police officer, someone who routinely deals with the aftermath of rear-end collisions, why this requirement exists. Then you say a silent prayer of thanks that instead of featuring in one of their stories you got off with just a citation - and you fix your damned light because you don’t really want to take an ambulance ride on a backboard.

Likes Bystander, berkeman, Dale and 3 others

1. Why are 2/3 of my brake lights required to work by law?

The requirement for 2/3 of your brake lights to work by law is a safety measure to ensure that your vehicle is visible to other drivers on the road. This helps to prevent accidents and promote safe driving practices.

2. What is the significance of having 2/3 of my brake lights working?

Having 2/3 of your brake lights working is important because it provides a clear indication to other drivers when you are braking. This helps to prevent rear-end collisions and reduces the risk of accidents on the road.

3. Are there any exceptions to the 2/3 brake light requirement?

In some states, there may be exceptions for antique or vintage vehicles that were manufactured before brake light requirements were mandated. However, it is always recommended to have all brake lights in working condition for safety purposes.

4. What are the consequences of not having 2/3 of my brake lights working?

Not having 2/3 of your brake lights working can result in a traffic violation and potential fines. It can also increase the risk of accidents and put yourself and others in danger on the road.

5. Can I replace my non-working brake lights with LED lights?

Yes, as long as the LED lights meet the legal requirements for brightness and visibility. It is always recommended to consult your state's laws and regulations regarding vehicle modifications.