Does Ohm's Law work for Light Bulbs?

In summary: Ohm's Law is not an approximation, it is a law.In summary, Ohm’s law does not seem to work for light bulbs. Resistance changes with temperature, so it is difficult to track the change.
Albertgauss said:
I’m not intending to “disprove” Ohm’s Law. From the experience of this post that I didn’t know beforehand, I will think better to reword phrases like “Ohm’s Law doesn’t work for...”
Ohm's Law works just fine. It would even work for a filament lamp if you could circulate the envelope with distilled water and kept the temperature constant, even when the bulb is dissipating its 100W - or whatever. It would work because Tungsten is a metal. (It would not glow much at 300K, though)

I have to apologise for the sloppy way you (and most of us) were taught how to mis-use Ohm's Law. But we're stuck with things the way they are.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
I would say Ohm's law defines resistance.
That is not my understanding of Ohm's Law. ##R=\frac{V}{I}## defines ##R##. The assertion that ##V## is proportional to ##I## is Ohm's Law.

Likes bob012345 and anorlunda
$$\sum_{(x_2,x_3)\in{\{0,1\}^2}}$$
Albertgauss said:
Then, thinking that the demo light bulbs we have on the shelf wouldn’t be demo light bulbs unless they conformed to Ohm’s Law, I was quite surprised how much they did not adhere to Ohm’s Law as how the resistors did.
Admittedly, this thread is overly long and drifts away from your question. However, you still haven't gotten the point.

Having a constant value of R is not part of Ohm's Law.

@berkeman said it well: ##V(t) = I(t)*R(t)## is a valid expression of Ohm's Law.

Likes berkeman and erobz
Just for the heck of it I thought I'd see if R for a 60W incandescent light bulb would be relatively constant at low voltage. I measured the resistance with an ohmmeter to be about 18Ω. Then I applied 1.4V DC and the current was 53mA. That means 26Ω. At 3.3V it was 39Ω. Even at these low voltages there was significant self-heating.

Given that I've seen the same sort of thing with thermistors I suppose it shouldn't have surprised me. I guess you need a water bath...

Here is a slightly more technical historical discussion of Ohm's work which discusses his experiments and apparatus.https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Madhu-Gupta-8/publication/3052303_Georg_Simon_Ohm_and_Ohm%27s_Law/links/5becd0db92851c6b27bf6ace/Georg-Simon-Ohm-and-Ohms-Law.pdf

Last edited:
Likes Orthoceras
JT Smith said:
Just for the heck of it I thought I'd see if R
... and I did the same thing. I connected a power supply to a small 6 volt bulb, and measured the current while stepping up the voltage. I started at 0.007 volts, then 0.085 volts, eventually increasing in one volt steps until the bulb failed. The voltage and current were measured using the power supply display, so the voltage is the voltage at the power supply, not at the bulb. The bulb was dim red at 1.5 volts, dull red at 1.8 volts, bright at 5.8 volts, dazzling at 10.8 volts, and failed at 13.8 volts. The plot of results:
Light Bulb Resistance.jpg

The slight departure from a smooth curve at the lowest voltage is explained by the one digit precision of the display - 0.007 volts and 0.004 amps.

Ohm's Law correctly describes the relation between voltage, current, and resistance at all voltages. The resistance is different at each different voltage, but that does not invalidate Ohm's Law. It just means that the resistance is a function of voltage, or more correctly, the filament temperature.

I once tried to make a sensitive and fast responding air temperature sensor out of a light bulb by smashing the glass bulb. It was sensitive and fast responding to changes in air temperature, but self heating from the ohmmeter made it difficult to use.

Mister T said:
That is not my understanding of Ohm's Law. ##R=\frac{V}{I}## defines ##R##. The assertion that ##V## is proportional to ##I## is Ohm's Law.
And do you include or exclude the 'constant temperature' requirement?
jrmichler said:
It just means that the resistance is a function of voltage, or more correctly, the filament temperature.
Yes and it's nothing to do with Ohm'/s Law, because Ohm's Law only applies under constant temperature. Resistance is defined (as always) as V/I whether it's a resistor, filament, thermistor or anything. It is just a ratio. Compliance with Ohm's law implies that the temperature is constant.

Re: a bulb filament. Break the glass and allow the filament to cool or, better still, dip it in circulating distilled water and your 'non-ohmic' component starts to behave more like an ohmic component. A regular bulb will appear more 'ohmic' for very short voltage pulses.

Likes DaveE
sophiecentaur said:
A regular bulb will appear more 'ohmic' for very short voltage pulses.

I was thinking of that. It's what I do with thermistors to minimize self-heating in air: turn them on, measure the voltage drop, and then shut them back off. It's maybe 100µs that they are energized. But it's a less visual demonstration and a bit harder to rig up.

Likes sophiecentaur
jrmichler said:
I once tried to make a sensitive and fast responding air temperature sensor out of a light bulb by smashing the glass bulb.
Sounds more like a hot-wire anemometer to me. Air is a poor heat conductor, so the filament power would need to be kept very low to avoid heating the air you're trying to measure. But you probably did that. Metals aren't as temperature sensitive as other things like thermistors. The issue with incandescent bulbs is the incandescent part, they get really, really hot.

sophiecentaur said:
And do you include or exclude the 'constant temperature' requirement?
##R## has to constant for ##V## to be proportional to ##I##. A constant temperature keeps ##R## constant.

Likes vanhees71
Mister T said:
##R## has to constant for ##V## to be proportional to ##I##. A constant temperature keeps ##R## constant.
Preeeecisely. And that is Ohm’s Law.

A friend had a gas welding mixer that combined C)2 and argon which went out of calibration. It used a hot wire bridge, one in CO2 and the other looking at the mix. Over time the CO2 one corroded slightly and wouldn't calibrate. Factory said he had to buy an entire new unit. I just changed the plumbing so they saw the other gas. Then it would calibrate. Amazing how the hot wire is so sensitive it can see the difference in heat transfer of a slightly mixed gas. I use lamps to limit current when repairing electronics with shorts. Saves fuses which have become quite expensive. The lamp with nearly a 7 to one change in resistance keeps current to a safe level so in circuit testing can be done. I'm saving every old lamp I can find as these are quickly disappearing.

• Informative
Likes NTL2009, bhobba, berkeman and 1 other person
Jodo said:
We need a good insight article on this.
I have been taught it's a law from the early 80's onward.

Well, F=M*A is a definition of force. R = E/I is a definition of resistance (and its extension to impedance). In mechanics, the concept of force has proven crucial, and in analysing electrical circuits, the concept of resistance has proven valuable. Neither is a law in the usual sense ie an experimentally verifiable statement - you can't verify a definition. It is a law in the sense that Newtonian Mechanics is a statement about nature that, as John Baez expresses it, says - get thee to the forces. Ohm's law is a law in the same sense - a statement that says in analysing circuits - get thee to resistance. A device is usually called a resistor if it, to a good degree of accuracy, can be considered to have constant resistance. Such simplifications are valuable in analysing circuits. Of course, a 'real' resistance changes with temperature etc but if such can be neglected it helps in analysing circuits.

Thanks
Bill

Jodo said:
I have been taught it's a law from the early 80's onward.
It is a law. All laws have limits of validity.

Likes vanhees71
Try measuring resistance at different temperatures.

Albertgauss said:
Summary: Does Ohm's Law work for Light Bulbs? I did a simple experiment where it doesn't seem to.

Does Ohm’s Law, V = IR work for light bulbs? It appears not to from my simple experiment below.

In the figure below, I measured the resistance of a lightbulb and found that resistance to be 2.6 ohms.

View attachment 304144

However, when I connect this lightbulb into the circuit where I measure the voltage across the lightbulb and the current through the lightbulb simultaneously, the entire simple circuit sourced by a power supply, then I get a derived resistance of 18 ohms.

View attachment 304145

I say derived because the voltage I measure is 3 Volts across the lightbulb and the current through the lightbulb is 165 mA. By Ohm’s law, 3 Volts divided by 165 mA is equal to 18 ohms. If the resistance of the lightbulb with current flowing through it is indeed 18 ohms, this certainly does not match the resistance of 2.6 Ohms measured directly by the resistance meter of the multimeter. From such an experiment, I would conclude the Ohm’s law does not work for light bulb.

Can anyone confirm that Ohm’s law does not work for a light bulb?

Obviously, the lightbulb heats up, and that heat could change the resistance dramatically when the lightbulb has current flowing through it versus when there is no current flowing; this is the only explanation I can think of off the top of my head of why Ohm’s law does not work for a lightbulb.

I actually measured the resistance of all the wires, the ammeter, etc and their total resistances still came to around 3 ohms; thus, the high resistance of 18 Ohms measured by the lightbulb when On cannot be attributed to the resistances of other components in the circuit.
Try measuring resistence at different temperatures.

Likes vanhees71
Ohm wasn't too happy how it worked out either. He was ridiculed and lost his job as a teacher and had an utterly miserable life as a result. The detractors kept adding more batteries in series and the current wouldn't change. They never took into account that the batteries used had very high internal resistance. I can get up to 10 times change in resistance depending on what the lamp is filled with to carry off heat. 6 or 7 is about normal for most lamps. For UL we need the internal temperature of a relay sometimes. Measuring the resistance of the copper coil at 25C and then after it has been on and stabilized, the internal temperature can be calculated. I have a 6 1/2 digit ohm meter. Touching one leg of a resistor with a finger I can see the resistance reading change. It is not the resistance changing, but thermoelectric effect from two different metals. Resistance can be tricky. It always follows the rules.

• Informative
Likes bhobba, vanhees71 and sophiecentaur
Mister T said:
It is a law. All laws have limits of validity.
Yes, it's the law so resistance is futile.

• Haha
Likes bhobba and sophiecentaur
Opera said:
Ohm wasn't too happy how it worked out either. He was ridiculed and lost his job as a teacher and had an utterly miserable life as a result. The detractors kept adding more batteries in series and the current wouldn't change. They never took into account that the batteries used had very high internal resistance. I can get up to 10 times change in resistance depending on what the lamp is filled with to carry off heat. 6 or 7 is about normal for most lamps. For UL we need the internal temperature of a relay sometimes. Measuring the resistance of the copper coil at 25C and then after it has been on and stabilized, the internal temperature can be calculated. I have a 6 1/2 digit ohm meter. Touching one leg of a resistor with a finger I can see the resistance reading change. It is not the resistance changing, but thermoelectric effect from two different metals. Resistance can be tricky. It always follows the rules.
The results from ancient scientific measurement were often dodgy. That, I can accept. My problem is more with the ignorance that's around these days, about what Ohm's law actually says.

Opera said:
Resistance can be tricky. It always follows the rules.
Actually, resistance follows no rules - until you describe or include the conditions of the measurement.

sophiecentaur said:
The results from ancient scientific measurement were often dodgy. That, I can accept. My problem is more with the ignorance that's around these days, about what Ohm's law actually says.
I think Ohm was a careful and thorough experimenter as the paper I linked to earlier suggests. I hope nobody here assumes his work was dodgy.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba and vanhees71
It is amazing work considering there were no resistance meters and a volt meter couldn't be made until resistance was understood. All you had was a swinging magnet, like shaped bars of different metals and batteries that seemed to do something though you didn't know what. This was flying blind.

Likes sophiecentaur
Opera said:
It is amazing work considering there were no resistance meters and a volt meter couldn't be made until resistance was understood. All you had was a swinging magnet, like shaped bars of different metals and batteries that seemed to do something though you didn't know what. This was flying blind.
My point is that Ohm was not flying blind. His experiments were sophisticated and clever. He knew exactly what he was doing. For example, at one point he used a thermocouple between boiling water and ice to generate a fixed potential.

https://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/O/Ohm.html

Likes bhobba and vanhees71