Why are industrial injection molders so big compared to hobby ones?

In summary, the size difference between benchtop and industrial injection molding machines is primarily due to the capability to apply more pressure and the need for larger heating elements to accommodate for larger mold cavities. Economic pressures also drive the use of multiple cavity tooling and reduced cycle times in industrial machines.
BucketOfFish
I was looking up plastic injection molders for a project, and I noticed that while benchtop injection molders can be very small, industrial ones weigh several tons and take up an entire room! What accounts for this difference in size? Is it simply the capability to apply more pressure, or is it perhaps the heating element? What is it in an industrial injection molding machine that makes it so big?

Engineering news on Phys.org
"the capability to apply more pressure"

Yup, that's pretty much it.

Rule of thumb I learned for sizing molding machines: 5 tons of clamp force for every 1 square inch of projected area of the mold. Do the arithmetic to see how big a machine must be (in tons of clamp force) to mold something the size of a Dell laptop case. Or the hood of an automobile.

If one wants to mold something that large, then they also will probably require the capability of squirting a lot of plastic into that big mold cavity. That adds to the physical size because of the needed size of the injection screw.

There are also economic pressures on people (businesses) that make a living from injection moulding.

This tends to drive multiple cavity tooling and reduced cycle times.

Your bench top machine may be able to cope with a bottle cap. I wonder how long it would take to make one?

I was reading about the world record for caps yesterday. A 1.9s cycle time with a 96 cavity tool. This ran on a machine with 420 tonnes of clamp force.

1. Why are industrial injection molders so much larger than hobby ones?

Industrial injection molders are larger than hobby ones because they are designed to handle much larger production runs. This means that they need to be able to accommodate larger molds and have more powerful machinery to produce a higher quantity of products in a shorter amount of time.

2. What is the main difference between industrial and hobby injection molders?

The main difference between industrial and hobby injection molders is the scale of production. Industrial molders are used for mass production of products, while hobby ones are typically used for smaller, personal projects or prototypes.

3. Do industrial injection molders produce higher quality products than hobby ones?

Not necessarily. The quality of the product depends on various factors such as the design of the mold, the type of plastic used, and the skill of the operator. Both industrial and hobby injection molders can produce high-quality products if they are used correctly.

4. Are industrial injection molders more expensive than hobby ones?

Yes, industrial injection molders are significantly more expensive than hobby ones. This is because they are much larger and more complex machines designed for commercial use. They also require specialized technicians to operate and maintain them.

5. Can hobby injection molders be used for industrial production?

In some cases, yes. If the production quantity is relatively low, hobby injection molders may be suitable for small-scale industrial production. However, they may not be as efficient or cost-effective as dedicated industrial molders for larger production runs.